Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First close call

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012 | 08:12 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rwells33
Yeah i have had a few of those close calls including a pickup with a long ladder in the back that pulled out in front of me. Dang near took my head off. Which leads me to my next question, under normal braking conditions how much % of rear vs. Front brake does everyone typically use?
Hell, I thought things like that that only happened here in El Paso,( AKA Northern Mexico).

Last edited by Dionicio; 08-09-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2012 | 08:39 PM
skully1200
Road Master

I took an advanced riders course a couple weeks ago. There were 10 people in the class, some of whom have been riding for 40+ years. We practiced quick stop and evasive maneuvers and the majority if not all riders including myself locked up their rear brakes. We practiced and we got better. It really is a good idea to PRACTICE these things in a controlled environment so you're better prepared for the real thing. May not be as fun as just riding, but may prove to be very beneficial.

Old 08-09-2012 | 09:01 PM
old v twin
Road Captain
Default Much appreciated

Take the time and effort to let Harris share his information with you. It is very informative and well worth the effort required to understand and practice his advice.

Thank you for the copy you sent me sir.

Originally Posted by motorlessons
As this post makes clear, the time to learn good braking technique; and the time to practice braking is NOT when you need the skills.

It is important (Life or death really) to have these skills. The way you practice is how you will react.

I've written a lot about braking in my booklet, which is always free. If anyone wants a copy, email me at:

motorlessons@hotmail.com

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown

Old 08-09-2012 | 09:49 PM
motorlessons
Tourer

You're most welcome.

By the way, I'm in Instructor re-certification for the rest of this week, and the next two, so my response to requests may be in the 12 to 24 hour range (usually I do better than that).

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown

Old 08-09-2012 | 11:45 PM
Timekeeper10
|
Cruiser

Thanks for all the great reponses including the offer from Harris. I have a lot to learn but thanks to forum members, I don't have to learn it all the hard way.

Old 08-09-2012 | 11:55 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter

motorlessons

Email sent sir.

Old 08-10-2012 | 03:44 AM
keiththor
Intermediate

+1 on the Proficient Motorcycling book. Been riding for 36 years and reading it now for the first time.

Lots of things I need to work on.

Old 08-10-2012 | 09:10 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by waybo418
I was taught, about 100 years ago, in a motorcycle safety course, that about 72 percent of a motorcycles stopping power is in the front brake. I have heard those percentages move as high as 90 percent, but you get the idea. That is pretty much all i use to stop with. The OL knows if my right foot comes up, we are stopping hard and she needs to hang on.

Alot of riders, myself included, forget what we were taught and develop many bad riding habits. The simple fact is that those bad habits could kill us.
you illustrate this point perfectly. if you're doing a hard stop, you really need to use your rear brake in conjunction with the front brake. it will stop you in a much shorter distance.

Old 08-10-2012 | 09:28 AM
kjelders
Tourer

From my motorcross racing days, you rarely used the back brakes. The instinct to grab front brakes now in conjunction with back brakes transferred over to the street in 35 years of riding. It's happened twice in the last year or so where I had to stopped quickly. Something I don't think about, it just happens is I slide up on the tank, so if they back end gets sideways it's not throwing my body around like a bucking bronc causing more forces to compensate for to the "slide".

Old 08-10-2012 | 10:35 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

I had a similar event on my Night Train a couple weeks ago. When that rear tire steps out it can be very scary. Made me a firm believer in the ABS on my Ultra.

Quick Reply: First close call