Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KW sweepers +2

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:30 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default KW sweepers +2

So, Ive decided on the Kromewerks Sweepers +2. Was lucky enough to find both of the bars I had narrowed the choice down to on bikes at a recent dealer event, and decided the Sweepers +2 are what I want. Don't really want the 2+2 as I think they will be TOO close to me. Im going mostly for a straiter wrist angle as much as anything else.

I really don't want to pay the dealer to put them on, considering it will cost 6 times the cost of the bars. I've had the batwing completely off in the past, and the stereo mostly pulled out, when I was installing my painted inner fairing. The only thing I really don't want to have to F with is changing the clutch cable (myself). So my question is this:

If I'm comfortable with tearing the fairing apart and radio out:

1. Can the sweepers +2 by mounted with the STOCK clutch cable if its routed outside of the fairing temporarily while I decide if I really like the bars? At that point I would just take it to the dealer and let them swap the clutch cable and re-route it correctly. (Yes, I would protect the painted inner fairing from rub marks while the cable runs outside of it)

2. How big a bitch is the throttle by wire sensor/wires

3. It would seem the control clusters and levers can just be removed from the stock bars, left to dangle, and put back once the new bars are on. Am I missing something?

4. Do the sweepers +2 need a longer brake line?

I should mention, I am NOT going to run the wiring internal. Bike is a 09 FLHX/ABS

Old 08-08-2012, 08:39 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Clutch cable isn't bad to change at all. You can route it outside, but it's best to get the longer cable. Get HD# 38649-08A cable. The TBW isn't really a bitch either. No longer brake line needed.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the 300505 bars on my last bike and the 300515 on my present bike.
1 Yes you can to see if they will work for you.
2 Not a pain at all.
3 Not a problem , pretty straight forward.
4 No , I just had to rotate mine a smidge at the banjo bolt at the hose/master cylinder.
I didn't internal wire mine as they are not that noticeable on a batwing bike.
I used the dawg recommended clutch cable and it works great , not to expensive either.
I also did as suggested and parked the bike on 2 by 8" wood with the jiffy stand on the ground to open the trans side cover and oil loss was really minimal.
I used a new gasket , but probably could have reused the original.
Just watch the stock cable routing and wire tie locations , and match them when you do the install.
If you have new grips , do them while you're at it and save some frustration.
The TBW makes the right assembly pretty easy to do.
I did polyurethane bushings with mine , which are a bit stiffer than stock , If I did it again , I might have gone with new stock bushings for vibration reduction.
The poly bushings do make the steering feel nicer and solid feeling though.
Mick