Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gauges would you add?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Default What gauges would you add?

I have an EG Standard, so I have just the four gauges: Speedo/Tach, Fuel Indicator, and Voltmeter. I have contemplated getting two more gauges for the lower two, but don't really want the air temperature (given that I live in Phoenix, it'll be maxed out most of the time anyways!). What would be the best two to get, and how difficult would they be to install? I was thinking the oil temp and/or oil pressure, would it be better to have both, or just one? Not sure what to pick for the other side, assuming I only picked one of the oil ones, maybe the compass or something.....

Old 01-19-2007, 02:33 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default RE: What gauges would you add?

I would go with the oil gauges. I already had the oil pressure gauge so I ditched the air temp gauge (which is even useless here in the northeast) and installed the oil temp. Which one do you pick? If it were my decision I would go with the oil pressure. You know that your oil will be hot but I would want to know what my pressure is especially if the motor were to go into the heat management mode. Screw the compass, who cares what direction you're heading, it's the ride not the destination.

The installations are fairly straight forward, but it helps to have a service manual. The oil temp sensor, (If it goes where it was instructed on my installation) can be a MAJOR PAIN IN THE AZZ, but there is a away around that.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:37 PM
PaOutlaw
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[sm=exactly.gif]

Yeah.............what soos said. I'll be dumping the air temp guage this spring for an oil temp guage on the Ultra.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

if you take out the gauge over the air temp gauge first, its lots easier to install the oil temp gauge

Old 01-19-2007, 02:45 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil gauges. Like you said, the air temp is as usefull as ***** on a bull. The compass?? The sun rises in the east, and sets in the west... you can figure the rest out pretty easily. If you only do one, I agree with soos.. do the oil pressure, but while you have the fairing off, you might as well do the complete job. I think it would look odd to have one blank spot instead of a gauge there.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:46 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

if you take out the gauge over the air temp gauge first, its lots easier to install the oil temp gauge
This is very true, and with out going into specifics in my earlier post, the wiring of the oil temp gauge can be simplified from the instructions in the kit.

Old 01-19-2007, 03:19 PM
chesterbud
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried the HD Oil Temp gauges that fit into the dipstick hole? I was wondering if they were of any value or should I just get the proper gauge?

Old 01-19-2007, 03:29 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: chesterbud

Has anyone tried the HD Oil Temp gauges that fit into the dipstick hole? I was wondering if they were of any value or should I just get the proper gauge?
Yeah, I have that dipstick. I like it but it just not very handy to check your temp rolling down the road. I really like being able to check my oil level without pulling the stick

Old 01-19-2007, 03:35 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member

ORIGINAL: chesterbud

It's also easily removed when you are not around. [:@]

Old 01-19-2007, 04:00 PM
jbnl163
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tach and oil temp.

Quick Reply: What gauges would you add?