Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jagg 10 row oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 01:49 PM
cycleboy1450
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jagg 10 row oil cooler

I am interested in purchasing an oil cooler. I like the new 10 rowJagg oil cooler. I have not completely decided on which Jagg cooler but am leaning towards Jagg. If you have any advice on the Jagg coolersor know ofarticles reviewing the 10-rowplease send it on.

Thank you

Old 01-19-2007, 08:00 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Jagg 10 row oil cooler

You didn't ask for info on the HD cooler, but it is made by Jagg and has the Turbulators. The HD has a thermostat, which I think is essential, but I don't think any of the Jaggs do. I haven't seen the 10-row, but it looks good, and if my HD cooler doesn't work well enough I may put one of these in-line as a second cooler, downstream of the thermostat of course.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:07 PM
fatboylust
Road Captain

HD redesigned the oil filter adapter and eliminated a troublesome joint in the Jagg two-piece version used in HDs initial version. Strongly suggest you avoid the tow-piece adapter. Second the thermostat and an essential element in the oil cooler system.

FBL

Old 01-19-2007, 09:38 PM
RedBarron59
Novice

FLB, I had a little different take on the adaptor. I ordered in the 2007 version and compared it to my old HD/JAGG adaptor. I decided to reinstall the HD/JAGG style adaptor instead of the new Harley adaptor. There were a couple of reasons. First, the new Harley adaptor sends the oil through the cooler before it goes through the filter and the HD/JAGG is just the opposite. Secondly, I like the offset when changing the filter. Third, the HD/JAGG hides the oil lines better than the front exposed HD adaptor. Lastly, I am using my own double oil coolers that are more exposed to the air but are well hidden on the Ultra. The hose routing from the HD/JAGG adaptor worked better with the dual oil coolers.
My adaptor also has the anti-rotation bracket added.
Just what worked for me.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:35 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: RedBarron59

FLB, I had a little different take on the adaptor. I ordered in the 2007 version and compared it to my old HD/JAGG adaptor. I decided to reinstall the HD/JAGG style adaptor instead of the new Harley adaptor. There were a couple of reasons. First, the new Harley adaptor sends the oil through the cooler before it goes through the filter and the HD/JAGG is just the opposite. Secondly, I like the offset when changing the filter. Third, the HD/JAGG hides the oil lines better than the front exposed HD adaptor. Lastly, I am using my own double oil coolers that are more exposed to the air but are well hidden on the Ultra. The hose routing from the HD/JAGG adaptor worked better with the dual oil coolers.
My adaptor also has the anti-rotation bracket added.
Just what worked for me.
I'd like to see some photos or a detailed description of your dual-cooler setup. As I said before, I have the '07 HD cooler and wonder if it'll be adequate in summer. So far my peak has been 200 deg. while stuck in traffic for 15 min. on a 78 deg. day, but I've only had it installed for about six weeks. I'd like to see oil temps max around 210 in summer, if that is possible on a TC96, and I'm not sure that will happen with one cooler. A 10-row or a smaller Jagg could be tapped in line with the HD cooler with little trouble, I would think.

Also, what do you know of the HD cooler's thermostat? I've heard it allows a trickle, perhaps as much as 20% flow when the oil is cold. I notice that long before the oil-temp gauge reads 180 deg. the cooler is lukewarm, indicating there is some flow through it. I've fabricated a simple flexible plastic cover 4x8 in. that slips on top, then across the front of the filter in between it and the chrome cover. It goes in fairly easily and comes out in a flash, and I baked it in my oven at 250 deg. to make sure it wouldn't melt, which would be a good thing to avoid. That should help stifle any cooling of the oil that goes on before the thermostat fully kicks in. I may keep the cover in most of the time in winter, then out all summer. This bike's oil takes forever to heat up in this weather (50-70 deg. typically).

Old 01-20-2007, 02:16 AM
RedBarron59
Novice

I will provide some pictures tomorrow. You are correct. Take a look at the flow of the components. There is not a by-pass route for the thermostat. The route remains the same but simply has a thermostat as a restriction. As the oil temps increase the flow is allowed to increase through the oil cooler. The HD and HD/JAGG adaptors have a greater flow rate then 20% at closer when cold. Think about it; if this were the only flow path, would you want to reduce the flow rate by 80% until the thermostat is fully open? This would cause oil starvation and consequently damage to seizure.
I prefer not to post everything as you can get into some real “weeing” matches with someone that just does not understand. As this is an open and free forum I chose not engage or instigate conflict.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:14 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I thought in the adapter there is a bypass? When the thermostat is closed, oil takes the bypass and the normal oil route. When the thermostat is open , oil takesthe diverted route through the cooler then back through the engine. Should be no case of oil starvation in either situation....

Second, these engines can run hot and will out last you.... don't put two oil coolers on your bike. It's over kill.

lp

Old 06-26-2008, 11:11 PM
2wheelrider
Novice

I always thought oil should heat up to above 212deg (water boiling point) to remove any water from the oil. Yes, one of the annoying byproducts of the combustion prosess is water vapor. 180 deg is the min operating temp for me but that wont remove any water from the oil. 210 to 220 deg is right were I would like to be. Someone must make a thermostat that will open at this temp.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:28 AM
ScooterJammer
Cruiser

FWIW...Uber Wrench Donny Peterson is a big fan of Jagg 10 row oil coolers on his performance bikes, in fact, he runs two. Of course, Donny runs big inch, hi-compression motors and tromps on them pretty hard. I still haven't gotten off the fence about oil coolers for a stock or mild upgrade mill. I've said this in previous threads, "It can't hurt.", although there are people out there who will say that's not true because they believe the oil may not get hot enough to burn out the impurities. Ya pays ur money and you takes ur chances.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:22 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I was told Jagg no longer make s coolers for harley and were told to stop stating that their coolers were "turbulated". We've used both the horizantal and vertical and I prefer the vertical. They now have an anti-rotation device that stop the problems with the adapter.