Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I or Shouldn't I

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012 | 11:13 AM
SBW Cycles
|
Cruiser
Default Should I or Shouldn't I

Hey guys! I currently have a black 2004 Electra Glide standard with 16,000 miles and tons of extras, plus it is paid for. I am thinking about trading my FLHT in for red 2009 Street Glide with the same mileage. The Street Glide has a few extras such as painted inner fairing, mufflers, and detach hardware. The asking price is $17,999, which I know I too much trade. Trade in value for this bike is $12,000.

My trade in value for my 04 FLHT is $8,000. I can probably get them to go to $10,000 and lower the price of the Street Glide if I added some additional accessories (chrome front end, lights, etc. The total amount of accessories is about $2,500 (including Reinhart classic true duals). The reason why I want to include the accessories in the deal is because I would like to ride it instead of wrenching it. Hoping to get the asking price for the bike under $17,000.

Trying to get some opinions on how the 2009’s are as far as value and handling (I know a lot of guys rave about the new frame). Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 08-07-2012 | 11:37 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member

Not much help but i did see a 2010 Sg on Chicago Crigslist with 1400 miles for 17K this AM..
Good Luck on your Choice...I also have a 04 E-Glide and i personally feel that it is one hell of a dependable bike.. Guess as long as i stay off the newer bikes i will never know what im missing.

Old 08-07-2012 | 11:38 AM
izzle22
Advanced

Originally Posted by SBW Cycles
Hey guys! I currently have a black 2004 Electra Glide standard with 16,000 miles and tons of extras, plus it is paid for. I am thinking about trading my FLHT in for red 2009 Street Glide with the same mileage. The Street Glide has a few extras such as painted inner fairing, mufflers, and detach hardware. The asking price is $17,999, which I know I too much trade. Trade in value for this bike is $12,000.

My trade in value for my 04 FLHT is $8,000. I can probably get them to go to $10,000 and lower the price of the Street Glide if I added some additional accessories (chrome front end, lights, etc. The total amount of accessories is about $2,500 (including Reinhart classic true duals). The reason why I want to include the accessories in the deal is because I would like to ride it instead of wrenching it. Hoping to get the asking price for the bike under $17,000.

Trying to get some opinions on how the 2009’s are as far as value and handling (I know a lot of guys rave about the new frame). Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

I had a 2002 Road King for over 2 years and put lots of money into it. I loved the bike but always wanted a Street Glide. Finally made the move this year and traded the RK in on a 2012 SG. Couldn't be happier. I really enjoyed driving the RK, it was fun as hell but the difference in handeling and power is unbelievable. I am so much more comfortable and confidant on the SG. You will not regret it. If you can swing the deal with the added extras on the SG that would be a big+. I had the dealer add the chrome front end, S.E. heavy breather, rinehart extreme true dules, stage 1, 4 point docking hardware and detachable sissy bar. It was nice to get it from the start with ALMOST everything I wanted. I could then just concentrate on riding and having fun rather than staring at it all the time thinking of what to do next.(i still do that LOL) Hope this helps just a little bit.

Old 08-07-2012 | 12:04 PM
jcb1975@yahoo.com
Tourer

I would stick with what you have. You are talking about a $7000 dfference assuming the deal goes the way you want it too. I would take that $7000 and put it into what I had if I were you. Could build one hell of a mean 98" motor and still have some coin left for paint or whatever. Thats just me, I tend to have the same things for a while though.

Old 08-07-2012 | 12:17 PM
fwb35
Road Warrior

Keep it, customize and build as you go, I have a 99 FLHT and will ride it for many years, love that bike, thats just me.

Old 08-07-2012 | 12:23 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

paid for.

you have a "ton of extras" on your bike...most of which will have no value to a new owner--- and may even detract from the value some one else puts on the bike- they are calculating how much it'll cost to put it back.

smart money says keep riding.

the 09's are cool...but the cost differential makes no sense unless you have money to throw away

as an exercise you should go in and "work the numbers"
I think once you see that you are looking at your bike PLUS 12 grand or more for the new bike and the changes you'd want to make to it...you'll be happy with the 04

mike

Old 08-07-2012 | 12:32 PM
SBW Cycles
|
Cruiser

Don't get me wrong I am happy with my 04 just thinking about upgrading. Only thing I haven't done to my bike is painted inner fairing and handlebars. Just not motivated to tackle that project right now. My bike currently has a 1550 kit installed but is super fast. Wish I had the 6 speed.

Old 08-07-2012 | 12:37 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

If you want to trade, trade. You need to go talk to them to find out what the difference is gonna be. Then see if you think it's worth it.
Test ride the 2009, it won't take you long to figure out what you think, better or no different.

Old 08-07-2012 | 12:53 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Old 08-07-2012 | 02:37 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by SBW Cycles

Thanks
I personally would not....its paid for. Nuf said.

Quick Reply: Should I or Shouldn't I