Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing the right type of mount for Garmin ZUmo 550

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012 | 02:47 AM
thor10000
|
Intermediate
Default Choosing the right type of mount for Garmin ZUmo 550

I recently bought a Garmin Zumo 550 from Ebay and do not really like the handlebar mount that came with it. I am working out of the country presently, but from the pictures it is a black plastic ring with a hand tightened nut to hold it in place. I would like to hear from the voice of experience on what is the best type of mount. I have seen recently a fairing mount offered for sale for the 550, but it is not clear to me how this attaches. Since I have the HD 3 bag windshield pack, would this interfere with a fairing mount. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Old 08-07-2012 | 04:45 AM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain

I did not like that mount either. Two common o ea are the U bolt around the handlebar and the one that bolts into the two switch housing screws. I went with the RAM ball mount that is basically a ball with a small blade with a hole that fits under the mirror stem. So when the Zumo is on it sets just off the left grip. But take it off and all that is left is a small black ball that does not look to bad. Here is a link to the RAM site.

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResul...5/Default.aspx

Old 08-07-2012 | 06:43 AM
HDCat
Cruiser

On my 08 UC, I used the Zumo supplied mount for my 550, and placed it on the handlebar near the left-side mirror. I've had it mounted for about two+ years now and it works good for me while on the move or just sitting (keeps my hand near the grip just in case). I had a dealer hard-wire the power to the mount so that my Zumo works off the bike's power supply when the ignition is turned on. Anyway, I also have a windshield bag which would not allow the use of the inner-fairing/dash mount attachment offered by HD. My buddy has his mounted on the inner-fairing/dash and he likes it there. I must admit its a cleaner look, but he doesn't have a windshield bag either. There are lot's of options and mounts out there so you gotta go with the one you like and which works for you. Cheers!

Old 08-07-2012 | 08:04 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member

I got the HD fairing mount. Nice clean and out of the way. And i can still see the road ahead of me while looking at the gps. It would interfere with a tweeterbar, if i wanted one.
Think the fairing mount kit is 40$. And the NIM module is around 100$.(Navigation interface module). That will turn the radio down and let the gps talk when it gives directions. All plug and play on my bike.

Opps.. just noticed you have the 550..not sure if the nim works with it.

Last edited by Pete6114; 08-07-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-07-2012 | 08:18 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm using the Kuryakin fuel door mount. I like it, keeps it in vies and off the bars. Easy to remove and store away when stopped and away from bike...

Old 08-07-2012 | 09:10 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member

I have seen where guys use the fairing mount and the three bag system and just remove the left side bag, gives you a great mounting location and you can still use the bags. Side note, the fairing mount DOES require you to put holes in inner fairing. Hope this helps
Kris

Old 08-07-2012 | 10:38 AM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain

Fairing mount is the only way to go. The mount has been discontinued, though there are a number of dealers that still have them. The part number is 92366-08. Any dealer can look it up and tell you what dealer has it. Throw that windshield bag you have in the dump and get the new three bag one that has removable bags and magnetic closures.You remove the left bag and it makes a very sanitary mounting system. And the new bags are way better than the one you have. I've used both and this is by far the better way to go. Part number for the bag is 58900-11.

Old 08-07-2012 | 12:33 PM
jberg
Road Warrior

I use the Harley mount that goes under the strap clamp on the left grip/clutch handle. Cost alot but very clean. Has the wiring harness that goes to the fuse panel. An alternative is the RAM mount that goes in the same spot on the clutch grip side. Two bolts go through it and into the clutch handle.
The Harley mount has the electric connection built in so the 550 pops off easily (once unlocked) and there's a neat cover for the connection built in.

Old 08-07-2012 | 12:35 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior

I've tried several different mounting systems. Techmount makes some very nice handlebar mounts if you want to go that way.

I finally decided on the fairing mount. I had Iron Cross Audio add an AUX port to the back of my radio, leaving me with a GPS with zero exposed wires, and right in my line of sight. It's the only way to go, in my opinion.

You do have to give up your 3 pocket windshield bag. I couldn't live without at least one bag for my sunglasses so I bought a single bag on eBay. It flopped arount a bit, but I used a piece of black double sided tape to stick it to the windshield, and it solved that problem. You have to look very hard to notice the tape.

Attached Thumbnails Choosing the right type of mount for Garmin ZUmo 550-gps.jpg  
Old 08-07-2012 | 12:48 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by AlaskaAviator
Fairing mount is the only way to go. The mount has been discontinued, though there are a number of dealers that still have them. The part number is 92366-08. Any dealer can look it up and tell you what dealer has it. Throw that windshield bag you have in the dump and get the new three bag one that has removable bags and magnetic closures.You remove the left bag and it makes a very sanitary mounting system. And the new bags are way better than the one you have. I've used both and this is by far the better way to go. Part number for the bag is 58900-11.
My friend has the newer windshield bags and the removeable one is a nice feature but his looks cheap as it is now made of vinyl instead of real leather like my older one. Why do they have to take a great product and cheapen it?

I won't be throwing my real leather one in the trash anytime soon.

Quick Reply: Choosing the right type of mount for Garmin ZUmo 550