Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I must be getting old

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 02:05 AM
cike
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default I must be getting old

I remember back when 50 degrees used to be my limit before I put on my chaps. I didn't have all the gear that I have now, I had cheap gloves, cheap jacket and a small windhield that I didn't put on until it hit 50 as well. I would ride my sporty down in the 40's. heck I had many bikes that didn't have windshields.
I currently have my fairing off my RK and have my chopped down OEM windshield on and I rode it to work tonight. (as usual) for the last several weeks it has been really nice riding home at 2 A.M. tonight it was about 60-65 when I headed home. I found that this now my limit for where I want to have my gloves on. Used to be I would have been wearing a thin leather jacket that now I would have been freezing in had I been wearing it. Heck at 65 I might have still just been wearing my long sleeve levi shirt.
don't get me wrong I am not a fairweather only rider. I will ride down into the 30's but now I have 3 different levels of leather jackets (depending on the temps) balclava's, head wraps, subzero carharts, regular carharts, chaps, crash bar covers, heated gloves and 2 or 3 other sets of regular gloves to chose from, and who knows what else. I guess after 24 years of riding I have added alot and fine tuned what I need to ride and when.
I also realized tonight that If I had to go back to wearing the gear I had in my early 20's again that my bike would probably do alot more sitting.
Living in Ohio, if you don't ride when it gets cool you miss half the riding season.
call me a whimp if you wish but I have a feeling that my fairing might go back on my bike alittle earlier this year

Old 08-07-2012, 05:00 AM
hawg20
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with ya on what you are experiencing. I use to ride in the low 60's in a t-shirt. I now wear a long sleeve shirt and can ride in comfort. I've found too that how far I'm riding makes a big difference too. I only live about 10 miles from work and I wear less than if I'm going on a 100 mile ride. I've found that wearing a little more than I really need make the ride much more enjoyable. I'm beyond having to look tuff!! Looking forward to fall riding here in Carolina! I'm sick of the 90's.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:16 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Ha...Im with you all the way!! Just turned 55 and my bags are always loaded with the cool (cold) weather gear.I did alot of doun hill sking in my 20s-30s but these days with my bad knees and my thin blood i would just rather sit by the fire and watch the snow bunnies do their thing!!
I havent bought any electric gear yet but i have looked into it and there is some nice stuff out there.I will ride till snow hits.Chicago tends to go heavy on the salt so all that does is make a mess of everything.Man i hate to think about puttin the bike up for winter but its inevitable and just around the corner.
All we can do is stay prepaired and prepaired we must be... Pray for a mild winter

Old 08-07-2012, 05:21 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I am in Florida and if it gets below 65 its cold for me....leather time! Must be an age thing for sure....

Old 08-07-2012, 05:25 AM
sprinklerape
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in Texas, I welcome 65 with open arms. Probably won't see it till late September. Can't wait to get out cold gear.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:11 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mid 40's is about where my apparel keeps me relatively comfortable. A sunny day sure helps but when heavy, lined leather and chaps are not enough it's time to park it. That will usually be late November for me.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:32 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm 40. Could ride in the mid 50's with no gloves on my ultra. I just got a rk and while riding to work it was in the low-mid 60's. I wish i had a pair of gloves. A fairing has it's strengths and weaknesses. Hand protection is a strength.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

At 61, Comfort is what counts now! First bike with heated grips and ya gotta love em.
I still ride down to 55. But the long underwear is on.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:52 AM
tcarille
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Yea I feel ya,sucks getting old.This am 60 degrees,(4:30),63 mi.ride on my Ultra,had my leather on with a turtleneck long sleeve shirt on underneath.Still felt chilly.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:53 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default My System

I have my carry alongs down to a science. I have a windbreaker that I'll use as things start to cool down. I have ended up using my Gerbings jacket liner as my tweener. It's heavy enough to use as a lined jacket and I can always throw on my windbreaker over it. In the winter I'll use a lined jacket over the Gerbings and I always have the option of plugging in! These three keep me going till down in the upper 20's.

Four pair of gloves and I'm good to go. (perforated, regular leather, lined and Gerbings) As I have "matured" so has my riding apparel. Just cause it's cold out there doesn't mean I have to be!

Quick Reply: I must be getting old