Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I must be getting old

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 PM
BCC1
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I come from BMW, Ducati & KTM's. The culture with those bikes is dress for the crash. Old habits die hard, so I still gear up. I love cooler weather. If there's no black ice or salt on the road, I ride.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:58 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

64yo here. I used to wear leathers but in 07 I started to wear "Textile". They are much lighter & take up less space. The ones I have are also waterproof. Also I invested in some "Under Armour" products for cold weather. That was one of the best things I have ever done for cold temps. I just layer-up. I enjoy riding in cooler temps. There are several companies making great textile ridin gear. I got mine from the MOCO. Good luck.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:11 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

40 years ago I could only afford a GREEN hunting jacket and newspaper for lining. I'm still around with HD leather+polar lining and I don't feel much warmer now...

Old 08-08-2012, 02:44 AM
cike
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 103 sedona orange
64yo here. I used to wear leathers but in 07 I started to wear "Textile". They are much lighter & take up less space. The ones I have are also waterproof. Also I invested in some "Under Armour" products for cold weather. That was one of the best things I have ever done for cold temps. I just layer-up. I enjoy riding in cooler temps. There are several companies making great textile ridin Igear. I got mine from the MOCO. Good luck.
I enjoy the cooler temps also. I have considered getting the under armour before but have never talked to anyone that has tried it for riding.. i'm not sure what textile is, i'll have to look into that..My biggest problem with under armour and such (weekends excluded) is that I ride back and forth to work and cant go all day wearing this stuff. I work in a factory and it gets hot. Right now i wear bibs or unlined carharts with shorts on underneath to work in 80 degree temps so that when I get there I can work in my shorts then have the bibs for the 2 a.m. ride home..
I am always trying new stuff but so far I think my best investments for work riding in the colder temps has been,
1. my gerbing heated gloves
2. my crash bar covers
3. my denium and also my unlined carhart bibs
4. my balclava and head/ear wrap thing (Ohio is helmet free)
maybe not in that order

not tying to start a helmet debate. I have tried them for cold weather riding (even bought a full face) and I can't see how you people that wear them stay warm when it gets cold. all the cold air comes right in through the bottom and I freeze. I can wear my balclave and one of those 2 inch ear wrap things (to keep the air from comming in around my glasses) and my head is warm in the coldest riding temps that I can stand to ride in.

I did ride one time in my early 20's with the temp at 7 degrees with a windchill of -6. it was about a 15 mile round trip to get breakfast. I had a snowmobile helmet on (yes I know- last comment right?) and was layered up so thick I could hardly move. I still froze my azz off. It was cool to do once but never again. man I got some strange looks that day

BTW thanks for all the replies. I dont feel so whimpy now, expect for compared to the guy on the first page that posted about riding year around in colorado (i think) that has his 1st bike with a windhsield and has never owned chaps....buddy, you got ***** of steel. ( i guess mine are cotton *****)

Old 08-08-2012, 05:31 AM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

At 58, I just started using a windshield. Now if I get on the hwy without it, I kick myself in the ***. It's better to make adjustment to stay comfortable, than to give up riding.