Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I must be getting old

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:00 AM
LynnSG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant handle the cold like I used to either. Its a natural progression I guess. I throw on the chaps in the mid 60s usually.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:19 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

At 62 I agree with Pete6114.....need the comfort!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:25 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by cike
I remember back when 50 degrees used to be my limit before I put on my chaps. I didn't have all the gear that I have now, I had cheap gloves, cheap jacket and a small windhield that I didn't put on until it hit 50 as well. I would ride my sporty down in the 40's. heck I had many bikes that didn't have windshields.
I currently have my fairing off my RK and have my chopped down OEM windshield on and I rode it to work tonight. (as usual) for the last several weeks it has been really nice riding home at 2 A.M. tonight it was about 60-65 when I headed home. I found that this now my limit for where I want to have my gloves on. Used to be I would have been wearing a thin leather jacket that now I would have been freezing in had I been wearing it. Heck at 65 I might have still just been wearing my long sleeve levi shirt.
don't get me wrong I am not a fairweather only rider. I will ride down into the 30's but now I have 3 different levels of leather jackets (depending on the temps) balclava's, head wraps, subzero carharts, regular carharts, chaps, crash bar covers, heated gloves and 2 or 3 other sets of regular gloves to chose from, and who knows what else. I guess after 24 years of riding I have added alot and fine tuned what I need to ride and when.
I also realized tonight that If I had to go back to wearing the gear I had in my early 20's again that my bike would probably do alot more sitting.
Living in Ohio, if you don't ride when it gets cool you miss half the riding season.
call me a whimp if you wish but I have a feeling that my fairing might go back on my bike alittle earlier this year
Well I don't know what "old" is. I'm 50 and have been riding 41 years. I live in Colorado, and I ride year round. If there's no snow on the ground, or in the forecast, I usually ride. I have a cheap leather jacket, and have never owned chaps. The only bike I ever had a windshield on is my current one which I've owned for a year and a half. I only put about 1000 miles a year on my Jeep. All else is my scooter.

I'll admit that the last couple of years I seem to find more and more excuses to take the Jeep when it's under 20 degrees. I guess I am old.

Last edited by ocezam; 08-07-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:50 AM
LeeH
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not that we are getting old - we are finally getting smarter, lol!
I don't give a crap how cool I look anymore - it was 57 degrees this morning when I went to work and I want to be warm - not cool looking. So, on with the leather jacket and half-gloves, stop at the starbucks for coffee, then open up the shop. It's going to be eighty-something degrees when I leave this afternoon - I will look cool then!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Mickey D
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell, I thought I was experiencing pussification. I too look to long sleeve shirts under 70 degrees and possible jacket under 65.
The days of heading out in T-shirts are about over.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:24 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

It is all relative. Up North here, cool / cold temps are easier to live with than this heat we are in right now. These 90's and 100's are just tough to deal with. We usually get a week or so of these temps, but this has been going on for a month or more.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:33 AM
oppirs
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ Damn right. Your forced to acclimate to these high temps. Any cool down just feels cold.

When March comes around after a spell of ice-cold weather. 50's feels nice.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:44 AM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't had a long ride for some time but I ended up staying out after dark Sat. night and on the way to the room the cold from the center pivots made my teeth chatter.I was feeling old thinking I needed something with a windshield and lowers until I pulled into my motel and a young couple were getting dressed to push the last 400 miles to sturgis to beat the heat and they put on more clothes than I have ever owned------they were from Ohio and said it was horrible cold here---------------After a 108 day and the night was 69 I just laughed

Old 08-07-2012, 08:53 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it has more to do with the temps you get acclimated to more than age. Just a few years ago, I was riding my Sporty, with no windshield, in the upper teens with just a couple of extra layers of clothes.

As I started adding heated gear, wind shield, etc. I start wanting the heated gear around 45 degrees. I still don't do the chaps until also 45 - 50 degrees.

On the other hand, I recently took a 3 week trip out west in the brutal heat. Thousands of miles with temps in excess of 100. When I returned home, it was only 92 degrees and I was almost cold.

So, I think it has more to do with how your body adjusts to different temps.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cike
I remember back when 50 degrees used to be my limit before I put on my chaps. I didn't have all the gear that I have now, I had cheap gloves, cheap jacket and a small windhield that I didn't put on until it hit 50 as well. I would ride my sporty down in the 40's. heck I had many bikes that didn't have windshields.
Having those two words in red in your vocabulary are the first sign of getting old.

Quick Reply: I must be getting old