Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter came loose

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012 | 02:17 PM
Pete6114
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Shifter came loose

Pulled off the interstate, trying to downshift and couldn't find the shifter...looked down and seen the shifter laying down, on top of the floorboard...pulled over and realized that it had unscrewed itself ( at the tranny end) over the 7k km i have on the bike now. Noticed some type of white compound on the threads, which most likely is thread locker from the factory.
Pulled out my tools and got is back in place. Will take it out again to apply my kind of thread locker.
Another thing for you guys to check!

Old 08-06-2012 | 02:21 PM
remike
Road Master

Same thing happened to me.Definitely a weird feeling.

Old 08-06-2012 | 02:22 PM
Estil
Road Master

Yea, good idea to check them periodically. And like you suggested.....always use threadlocker. I carry blue threadlocker in my toolpouch. Better safe than sorry.

Old 08-06-2012 | 02:31 PM
RoadGlidinFreak
Cruiser

yep! Happened to me on the first good ride I took after I bought the bike. Screwed it back in by hand, then rode on down to the dollar general and had to buy a small pair of pliers to tighten it. Pulled it when I got home and put loc tite on it.

Old 08-06-2012 | 02:37 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member

White powdery residue is threadlocker. Lots of posts here this past few months about shift levers getting loose, or even worse failing or falling off. I know I was made aware about it here, and low and behold, it happened to me. It's a simple re-tighten with an allen. Just another one of those things to check when going over the bike periodically.

Old 08-06-2012 | 02:45 PM
So-Cal Street Glide
Road Captain

Dumb question here, so if you lost your shift peg would you just have to pull the clutch in and brake to stop before shutting down motor? Sounds a little dangerous, going to check mine before leaving work tonight.

Old 08-06-2012 | 02:52 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

That happened to my Brother yesterday. He used a condom to tie the shifter back in place. LOL

Old 08-06-2012 | 02:55 PM
The Shute
Club Member

Been there, done that. Now I carry zip ties along in my tool bag.

Old 08-06-2012 | 02:58 PM
JLighty
Novice
Talking

Originally Posted by SportyPig
That happened to my Brother yesterday. He used a condom to tie the shifter back in place. LOL
Kinda gives new meaning to "keep your rubber on the road"!

Old 08-06-2012 | 03:31 PM
sdoomaha
Cruiser

+1....got in the habit of "kicking" mine back on every once in a while as it seemed to constantly work itself off regardless of how tight I got the allen screw. Couple drops of red locktite and problem gone. Tried blue....it would only last a week or so before it started working off again.

Steve O!

Quick Reply: Shifter came loose