Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Memphis Shades on RK?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:51 AM
LDB415
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about 5'9" so that would probably go just over the top of my head. I could/would look at height options too. I'm beginning to think they don't even make what I was hoping for, a clear batwing windshield like the OEM but with the added hand protection. I do like the looks of these more than the OEM sheriff's (what it seems like to me) screen.

Last edited by LDB415; 08-06-2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-06-2012, 01:30 PM
TSAVO
Intermediate

Just installed mine yesterday and went for a ride, so far I really like it.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Ghosteh
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LDB415
I'm about 5'9" so that would probably go just over the top of my head. I could/would look at height options too. I'm beginning to think they don't even make what I was hoping for, a clear batwing windshield like the OEM but with the added hand protection. I do like the looks of these more than the OEM sheriff's (what it seems like to me) screen.

They don't. I've thought about something like that quite a bit, but no one has anything close.

I'd love to see someone make a clear batwing out of plexi. That would be unique, for sure!

Old 08-06-2012, 03:09 PM
LDB415
Road Captain

I'd think they'd do well with something like that. It would only weigh a few more pounds than the factory police windscreen but give more protection and be really cool looking as well. Guess I'll just have to keep wishing for the time being and go with the MS batwing in the interim.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:34 PM
sfmichael
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LDB415
I'd think they'd do well with something like that. It would only weigh a few more pounds than the factory police windscreen but give more protection and be really cool looking as well. Guess I'll just have to keep wishing for the time being and go with the MS batwing in the interim.
Let us know how it turns out and post some pics. I'd be interested in knowing the final cost as well. I want to put something better on my 2010 Road King, preferably something that can be taken off easily.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:29 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Is this what you're looking for? It's handlebar mounted though, and not sure I'd like that.

http://www.motorcyclewindshield.com/...al-windshields

or maybe this one or something like it?

http://www.motorcyclewindshield.com/...al-windshields

Old 08-07-2012, 12:16 AM
LDB415
Road Captain

That second one is pretty much what I had in mind but doesn't have an option for Harleys unfortunately. The only difference is ideally I'd like it to work with the same QD system as the factory screen. I know, I want everything.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:58 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You could always get one, see if your factory windshield frame will bolt to it, and if not, ship it back to them. Most places will refund as long as protective plastic is still on it, and it hasn't actually been mounted. National Cycles also makes one similar, and I think they are the original for the style you're looking for. But they're all handlebar mount. At least the ones I've seen over the years.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:37 AM
cike
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I dont have my catalog handy but I think that JP cycles sell ones like that for harley's..
Mine is a PIA to take off or put on. it is mounted like a regular fairing and take about 2 hours to take on or off. If I did it over I would have went with a good quick detach.
If you look at the last page you can see the side pic of my bike then look at the side pic of the post from kennymay. this pretty much shows the difference in the angles of the way they are mounted. I think the MS fairing mounts like his. Mine offers much better protection then my oem windshield does. I ride down to about 30 degrees and wouldn't be able to do it without the wind protection that the fairing gives my hands.....someone (not sure who) also make little about 6" x 4" shields that mount on to the handlebars and covers the area right in front of the brake and clutch levers. I think you mainly see them on enduros and quads but I have seen them on harley's as well...good luck, I personaly wouldn't spend my $ on a MS fairing unitl someone let me know if it was going to blow the wind into my face or over it. Maybe one of the better ones like Dragonfly or Hoppe but they cost more $.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:54 PM
LDB415
Road Captain

Something similar to this but using the QD system already on the bike is what I had in mind.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ75002

Quick Reply: Memphis Shades on RK?