Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 SG rear smoked lenses

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 06:54 PM
HDTimFLHX
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 SG rear smoked lenses

Has anyone installed the smoked lenses on the rear light bar. I have a newer street glide so I don't have the big brake light. The smoked turn signal kit comes with 4 smoked lenses and 4 amber bulbs. 2 of the bulbs are single filament and 2 are dual filament. If I install the amber bulbs in the rear I won't have red brake/running lights. Plus, it looks like on the newer bikes the rears are dual filament too. Is this a mistake that Harley doesn't know about or did I get the wrong kit or something. As far as I know it was the only one they had. If anyone has gone through this or made this mod, please let me know. Thanks...

Old 08-04-2012, 07:02 PM
bgdv1
Road Master
Received 223 Likes on 70 Posts

the rear of the 11-12 sg have clear bulbs with red lenses. has to be that way for stop/brake. you cant put the smoked lenses and amber bulb back there and remain legal. i have l.e.d bulbs from custom dynamics along with the plasma rods. why would you want to diminish your visability in the rear of the bike by putting smoked lenses on ? people dont pay attention to bikes as it is !

Attached Thumbnails 2012 SG rear smoked lenses-plasmajpeg.jpg  
Old 08-04-2012, 07:29 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

The rear bulbs should be the dual filament and single for the front. I guess the latest and greatest claim is yellow being more noticeable, but the tail light still needs to be red. I bought special red filament bulbs for the rear when I had smoked rear lenses and after about a month they turned yellow ! I don't want LEDs because they don't shine as good as incandescent in sunlight or much to the side in close combat traffic. I put the standard red lenses back on with the yellow bulb and have a have a great deep bright red in the rear with HDs addon LED running and brake light (68000029) for more at night without blinding the vehicle behind me.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:11 PM
PWFD
Road Master

I have the Harley smoke lenses in the rear on my 2011 SG. I have a red bulb in them. I think it looks great and still a real bright red bulb.

T

Old 08-04-2012, 08:29 PM
HDTimFLHX
Cruiser

Originally Posted by drukanfu
The rear bulbs should be the dual filament and single for the front. I guess the latest and greatest claim is yellow being more noticeable, but the tail light still needs to be red. I bought special red filament bulbs for the rear when I had smoked rear lenses and after about a month they turned yellow ! I don't want LEDs because they don't shine as good as incandescent in sunlight or much to the side in close combat traffic. I put the standard red lenses back on with the yellow bulb and have a have a great deep bright red in the rear with HDs addon LED running and brake light (68000029) for more at night without blinding the vehicle behind me.

On my bike, both front and rear stock clear bulbs are dual filament.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:31 PM
HDTimFLHX
Cruiser

Originally Posted by PWFD
I have the Harley smoke lenses in the rear on my 2011 SG. I have a red bulb in them. I think it looks great and still a real bright red bulb.

T

I was thinking that that is what I was going to do. Where did you find the red dual filament bulbs that you put in the rear?

Old 08-04-2012, 08:34 PM
Irish Joe
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed smoke lenses and red bulbs. A friend said the tail lights were very hard to see and after I almost got run over from behind I decided to go back to the original red and added the tri-bar leds. Be safe!

Old 08-04-2012, 08:58 PM
IHC67
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the smoked lenses. I put red LEDs in the back & left the orange incandescent in the front so I dont need the load equalizer. They blink normal and the self cancelling works. the red LED's i got from Autozone and they are a hell of a lot brighter than the red incandescent. I tried the red incandescent and they sucked. The red LED's I got are very visible to the side and in daytime.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:00 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,359 Likes on 2,537 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish Joe
I installed smoke lenses and red bulbs. A friend said the tail lights were very hard to see and after I almost got run over from behind I decided to go back to the original red and added the tri-bar leds. Be safe!
i added the tri bar less, and also a custom dynamics mblf (magic brake light flasher). a fairly inexpensive add on that will make your brake lights, and the tribal led light flash when you hit the brakes. mine is set to long, flash 4 times, then repeat.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:12 AM
PWFD
Road Master

Originally Posted by HDTimFLHX
I was thinking that that is what I was going to do. Where did you find the red dual filament bulbs that you put in the rear?
My dealership I buy my stuff had them. The parts guy is the one that brought the idea up to me doing the smoked lens all the way around with the red bulbs in the rear. On my black bike I love the look it finished the bike off nicely.

T

Quick Reply: 2012 SG rear smoked lenses