Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles in one day?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 02:19 AM
beeker356
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many miles in one day?

Just checking to see how many miles you guys average a day when you do trips on your bikes. What the most time / miles you have spent on your bike in one day? I know that it all depends on the rider and conditions… just trying to see what the average is. Planning a trip and trying to plan travel time and route.

Josh

Old 08-04-2012, 04:35 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Given the right conditions and a steady pace, a thousand miles in a day is easily doable, it takes sixteen hours.
That said, it's not a pace that you would set for multiple days. That's a just need to get there ride. A good pace for a trip is 3-500 miles a day. Don't set too aggressive a pace. plan to stop and see things "smell the roses". Two hundred miles is an easy day with lots of chances to see things, stop and and have a good meal.
Enjoy your trip, where you going?

Old 08-04-2012, 04:46 AM
eazyduzzit
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I would have to disagree with the statement that a thousand miles in a day is easily doable. I couldn't enjoy riding anywhere near that many miles. 3 to 5 hundred miles is what I would plan.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:51 AM
god61021
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

as a new rider I put in about 200 miles before my azz starts to get sore. 300 would be easily doable 500 would suck. I've got a heritage thats spose to be pretty comfy also I couldnt imagine doin it on a sportster

Old 08-04-2012, 05:10 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I head to the western states, it is easy to do 500-700 miles per day. The speed limits are 70+ mph and the roads are mostly straight and not congested.

When I head to the eastern states, 300-500 miles is about all you can do with out pushing hard. Lower speed limits, winding roads, congestion, etc.

If you tell us where you are headed and your starting point, I am sure are better response can be given.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:22 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,310 Likes on 11,392 Posts

A lot will depend on what roads you will be traveling on, and what sights
and sounds you want to stop and check out.

Enjoy every mile and stop when you feel like it.....its not a marathon you
are riding in, its a ride for enjoyment and relaxation.

We do a lot of 400 to 500 mile day-trips for lunch.......

Old 08-04-2012, 05:26 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

300 miles a day would leave you with a lot of time on your hands, 500 miles a day would fill it up the day pretty good and still give you time to stop for meals and to look at the scenery a bit. Any more than that and your main goal would have to be to put a lot of miles behind you with no interest in stopping for anything you don't have to stop for. If that is what you want then you can do 1000 to 1200 a day. If you are young you can do that for a few days, but for me in my old age, one day of it knocks me out for a couple days. So, if you are sight seeing I would go 250-350 a day, if you want to stop but not stop for everything you see then do around 500 a day. I think you should not beat yourself to death, you should stop early, get a room and relax for the evening, get up have breakfast and hit the road. Do that every day and you will enjoy the ride a lot more, if you are in it for the enjoyment, then you should take the time to enjoy it.

Last edited by jjnoble; 08-04-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:28 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Standard long rides for me are 200 to 300 miles scenic. Got to get there miles 300 on up.

Old 08-04-2012, 05:31 AM
HDCat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most I've personally done in one day was 700 miles, but it was hot (95+) temps in the Southwest part of the US and I was exhausted upon arriving at my destination. Forget the Iron Butt Rally-type approach to most of your riding. For me, the general rule for trip planning includes enough time to enjoy some of the scenery and sites along the way. Of course there are times and some stretches of road/highway that must be covered to arrive at your planned destination or there might be noting really to see (stretches of I-10 in west Texas). Those times call for all out riding and covering as much ground as safely as possible. Getting back to your question, I don't think there is a solid rule for trip planning. Its an individual's choice. As a general rule, you have to take into account the quality (or lack of) of the road, traffic congestion, weather, rider comfort, passenger comfort, do you plan on stopping and taking in any sites, fuel/mileage range, etc. Currently, here in Europe, I generally ride/tour with a group so we plan our trips based on the comfort and ability of whoever needs more time, stops, etc.

The most important part of the trip is the journey!

Old 08-04-2012, 05:47 AM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

The most I have done is in the 780-800 range, strictly highhway and stops for gas and water, tough on the bike and rider. You don't see much at that pace, average daily ride in NorthEast is around 300, and you can still move the next day. Remember the more stomach's and bladders you bring the less miles you go.

Quick Reply: How many miles in one day?