Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Commander IIs installed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012 | 12:17 PM
JDHunz
|
Cruiser
Default Commander IIs installed!

Just got my bike ('05 EG) back with Michelin Commander IIs put on front & rear. I must say, it's a damn good looking tire to begin with...but looks aren't everything!

Getting ready to do a quick 500 mile roadie to the Land of Cheese, so I will post back with how they run. I will admit they ride different than the Dunlops - they are a lot smoother, quieter and they handle road imperfections like a champ. The road I take back from this dealership is 90% rain grooves that normally would have the bike wandering...the C IIs handled them without even an ounce of tracking!

The dealer asked me to report back to them next week as they have a lot of interest in these tires...so, hopefully they live up to the hype!

Old 08-03-2012 | 12:54 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by JDHunz
Just got my bike ('05 EG) back with Michelin Commander IIs put on front & rear.
I would like to know how these fare in durability, but they haven't been on the market long enough for many reports to start rolling in.

Old 08-03-2012 | 01:06 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

I put on a set of Commander II a week or so before I left on a 21 day, 11 state 5,000 mile bike ride. I'm very impressed with the tire in all manner of riding conditions. The only remaining question is durability.

Old 08-04-2012 | 10:57 AM
duanew18
Novice

I just installed the rear after 9600 miles on stock Dunlop. I cannot believe the difference the Commander II's made. No more loose rear end feel, and no more wobble in the front. I could not believe the difference one tire made.

Old 08-04-2012 | 11:33 AM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member

I am thinking they will be my replacement when the time comes.........

Old 08-05-2012 | 08:17 AM
db2753
Tourer

Hello, I'm currently running E3's and have over 17K miles on them and very happy. The size for E's is Front--MT90B-16 and Rear is MU90HB-16. What size do I order if I switch to Commander II?

Also does anyone use Ride On Tire Protection?

Thanks, and its an 05 Electra Glide Classic

Old 08-05-2012 | 08:25 AM
JDHunz
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by db2753
Hello, I'm currently running E3's and have over 17K miles on them and very happy. The size for E's is Front--MT90B-16 and Rear is MU90HB-16. What size do I order if I switch to Commander II?

Also does anyone use Ride On Tire Protection?

Thanks, and its an 05 Electra Glide Classic
Wherever you order from should be able to do a quick cross reference, depending on if you have spoked wheels or not. For my EG Standard with non-spoked wheels, my sizes were:

Front - 130/90B16
Rear - 140/90B16

Hope that helps!

Old 08-05-2012 | 08:48 AM
JDHunz
|
Cruiser

Ok...here is the update on how the tires have been:

Just got back from a quick 500 mile jaunt into Wisconsin. The route had a variety of roads, ranging from super smooth blacktop & asphalt, rain-grooved sweepers to rough roads that literally shook the heel-shifter arm off my buddy's '94 Ultra. Plus, we had a nice thunderstorm to deal with, too...Keep in mind these replaced the stock Dunlops.

The tires were a little squirrely at first, but I attribute that to them being new and needing a bit of scuffing to get worn in. That went away after about 50 miles. First off, these things are quiet, even going over seams and cracks. That noticeable "thump" I would get from the Dunlops is no longer there...and they seem to absorb imperfections much better.

They don't track in rain grooves...at all. A few times on parts that ALWAYS grabbed my old tires, I found myself actually accelerating in sweepers that, before, I would always pay additional attention to the handling. And speaking of handling, the tires flat out GRIP the road like a sport bike! It really amazes me how much more lean angle you can get with these Michelins - at one point in a nice, long sweeper, I glanced at the speedo to see I was approaching 80 and the bike was rock solid. It was a boost to my confidence, but something I need to not over do.

We did the get the chance to ride in some rain and I was very impressed on how well the tires felt more secure and connected to the road. I will admit that in rain I tend to be a lot more conservative in my riding. That being said, I genuinely felt safer with these tires over the Dunlops. I never experienced any feeling of loss of road contact, hydro planing, etc.

My buddy and a few others remarked at how the tire almost looks like a sport bike tire...and I think that is a safe and fair observation. They feel better, ride better, improve the handling of the bike immensely and appear to living up to most of the characteristics Michelin was touting on these...but the final test will be durability.

If the Commander II tires last as well as they perform, then they were well worth a few more bucks over stock. My riding buddy is due to replace his tires and he is seriously considering the Michelins...as are 5 more guys I ride with.

I know that 500 miles aren't really "enough" to really make a fair review on, but it was a good, solid initial test since I had a wide variety of road conditions to try out...plus that damn storm! Guess I need to go put another 100 on them today...dang, I hate I have to do that!

Old 08-05-2012 | 09:10 AM
sporacer
Road Master

Originally Posted by duanew18
I just installed the rear after 9600 miles on stock Dunlop. I cannot believe the difference the Commander II's made. No more loose rear end feel, and no more wobble in the front. I could not believe the difference one tire made.
Where are you purchasing a 130/70/18 front? I cant seem to locate one.

Old 08-05-2012 | 10:14 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member

I went up to a 150/80/16 on the Street Glide, in real terms the tire is all of 5mm wider and 1mm taller, the Metzeller is actually 145 wide even though it is technically a 140/85/16

Quick Reply: Commander IIs installed!