Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing gauge light color

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 01:37 PM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Changing gauge light color

While I have my fairing apart being painted I thought I would try changing out the gauge light color. I found some replacemant lights at Auto Zone. They are called "Blazer Xtreme Lites." They come two in a pack @ 2.99 a packand I saw several different colors. The part number for blue is 194B. I take it the "B" is for blue! Man see how quickI figured that out!

The gauge has a plug up top that disconnects from the housing. You just disconnect the plug, the bulb and holder pops out of the gauge housingand the lightis just a matter of pulling the old bulb out and replacingit. The old bulb has a rubber on it, that's what gives it a dull yellow color. The replacements are actually colored bulbs.

It was so easy even aCave Man could do it!

[IMG]local://upfiles/12325/0213172D91E34BDE8F798409FFC97A84.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-18-2007, 02:04 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Changing gauge light color

I would really like to see what that looks like in the dark.

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Well not really worthless. Just thought it would be a good place to use a neat smiley

Old 01-18-2007, 02:25 PM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member

I'll take some pics when it's back together. I tested it in my garage with the lights on and I could still see the blue glow so I'm sure when it's dark it will look good.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

If you have a way of changing the bulb colorof the speedo and tach, please post. I am told (by the service manager at my HD store) there is no way to change the bulbs in those units since they are factory sealed.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:49 PM
jrudicel
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be curious if anyone has had a streetglide apart. I think I would like a red color backlight on mine instead of the very dull orange....or at least have the radio and gauges match...lol

I did find this website for those with the regular round speedo's etc. I know nothing about them though...
http://www.bluegauges.com/motorcycle/harley.htm

Old 01-18-2007, 02:56 PM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member

There was a post about someone actually having the ***** to open up the Tach and speedo. What he found was a circle of tiny leds. The problem is finding the source for the different color leds an then they are sautered, excuse the spelling.. So I wouldn't even try to change em not worth it. I know they have a guy that provides the service but maybe someone knows the web site.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:58 PM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jrudicel

I would be curious if anyone has had a streetglide apart. I think I would like a red color backlight on mine instead of the very dull orange....or at least have the radio and gauges match...lol

I did find this website for those with the regular round speedo's etc. I know nothing about them though...
http://www.bluegauges.com/motorcycle/harley.htm
The gauge lights should be the same for the RG and SG just pop em out and replace.

Old 01-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

If you have a way of changing the bulb colorof the speedo and tach, please post. I am told (by the service manager at my HD store) there is no way to change the bulbs in those units since they are factory sealed.
I looked into this a little while back (I had the fuel gauge light go out, but it was just loose). There isn't a way to change out the speedo/tach lights that I was able to find. Iwas quite bummed, because I was thinking along the same lines, and have all my gauges have blue to match my Sony deck. I guess I could go blue for the smaller gauges, and then the stock orange for the big ones.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:33 PM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member

By the looks of your avatar your a seminole fan, do you really want to have to look at Blue and Orange! all the time? LOL

Old 01-18-2007, 05:59 PM
swomack
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bulb on my air temp guage would not come out. Foreign made made VDO, but the oil temp is a 194.

Quick Reply: Changing gauge light color