Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When we ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012 | 09:57 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master

My wife still remarks about that smile I get when I ride, or even think about my bike.
Originally Posted by beary
... So I bought my RKC without consulting her. She was MAD, I mean really mad ...
Buddy and I were going for a day trip, he needed money for gas so we stopped at his bank for the ATM. While he was inside a gentleman ( mid to late 70s ) came out and walked over to me. He complimented me on my bike.
Then he said,
“ I always wanted a bike, but my wife said she would divorce me if I ever bought one, so I never did .....

Should have bought the bike!
F***ing *itch divorced me anyway, I should have bought the f***ing bike.”

Last edited by IKnowNot; 07-31-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2012 | 10:14 PM
MYCRISIS
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDRoadking_nc
MY girlfriend bought me a pillow that sits in my recliner that says "You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office"....that pretty much says it all
I can actually vouch for that one. When I lost my 19 yr old son to suicide May 14 2011. We were very close, only blood child, and it was totally unepected. It was one of those calls at 6:32 on a Saturday morning that will change your entire world. The shock and hurt was incredible. I've broken bones that didnt come close to this physical pain. I couldn't eat or sleep or deal with much reality for months.

I went to a few sessions with a PHD psychiatrist/grief counselor and that seemed to help for a while,and then I got out my bike and hit the road. Whenever I would start getting down(it comes in waves) I would jump on the bike and just go ride a few hours most every day. I have always enjoyed riding, had never had any therapy, and never really thought of it as therapy. It is therapy, and damn good therapy at that. My hours spent with the wind in my face, listening to nothing but loud pipes have kept me for the most part, sane.

I still have to stay busy, and still ride a lot for my soul. I wouldn't wish this **** on my worst enemy.

Sorry for the buzz kill.

Old 07-31-2012 | 11:27 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member

I have been riding for over 50 years, on Honda's, Yamaha's, Suzuki's, Kawasaki"s, Triumph's,
a Doodle Bug, even an AJS. Dirt bikes 4, Duel Sport bikes 3, Street Bikes11, not sure where the
Doodle Bug comes in. I have loved them all when I was riding each one of them, and my two
Harley's stand out in the top 5 bikes I am most fond of, along with a 1970 Honda CB750, and
a 1977 Yamaha TT500. Oh that Doodle Bug of unknown vintage, that was the first thing on two
wheeles that started my love affair with bikes.

Old 08-01-2012 | 12:09 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Priceless

Originally Posted by WetSider
Beary, that's a great approach to the challenge. Glad it's worked for you.
Westside, your avitar is priceless.

Old 08-01-2012 | 06:28 PM
AJRK1
|
Advanced
Default Motorcycling has a certain spirit that Harley people can tap into very easily.

Originally Posted by AJRK1
I am a very pro Harley person and I need to share this with people that can relate.
There are better faster smoother bikes out there and I have rode many; not owned but rode. When I ride my Road King no matter when or where there is always a point when the RPM's, wind, temperature, exhaust all come together to give me a big smile on my face. This happens to me when I ride and when we ride. Harley is #1
. Thanks for all the replys and I don't want a hug!

Old 08-01-2012 | 10:17 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member

SAw this saying a long time ago.... Harley Davidson, If I have to explain you would not understand. Now I have said for many years about what is the big deal about Harley and I say either it grabs you by the booboo or it doesn't.

Old 08-01-2012 | 10:44 PM
Road Captain

Originally Posted by IKnowNot
My wife still remarks about that smile I get when I ride, or even think about my bike.

Buddy and I were going for a day trip, he needed money for gas so we stopped at his bank for the ATM. While he was inside a gentleman ( mid to late 70s ) came out and walked over to me. He complimented me on my bike.
Then he said,
“ I always wanted a bike, but my wife said she would divorce me if I ever bought one, so I never did .....

Should have bought the bike!
F***ing *itch divorced me anyway, I should have bought the f***ing bike.”
You KNOW....

You cant spell DIVORCE without C-V-O

heh heh

Old 08-01-2012 | 11:06 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member

I hear what you are saying. I am riding my 6th Harley. It has always seemed kind of ironic to me that some so called Harley riders seem to expecting huge changes with each new model year. My Harley color is black, I expect and appreciate nothing more than minor changes year to year. The best things Harley has done in the recent past is belt drive and EFI.

Old 10-01-2012 | 02:14 AM
AJRK1
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by OldPhat
I have been riding for over 50 years, on Honda's, Yamaha's, Suzuki's, Kawasaki"s, Triumph's,
a Doodle Bug, even an AJS. Dirt bikes 4, Duel Sport bikes 3, Street Bikes11, not sure where the
Doodle Bug comes in. I have loved them all when I was riding each one of them, and my two
Harley's stand out in the top 5 bikes I am most fond of, along with a 1970 Honda CB750, and
a 1977 Yamaha TT500. Oh that Doodle Bug of unknown vintage, that was the first thing on two
wheeles that started my love affair with bikes.
My first was a direct drive minibike without a clutch. Was hard to jump on and pull the rope at the same time. I was 12 so it was easy. I know you got a kick out of this one!

Old 10-01-2012 | 02:32 AM
lumper
Road Master

I am not a fanboy and go all Harley everyone else sucks attitude.
I have owned both metrics and Harleys

My last bike a Kawi Drifter was beautiful and every bit as comfy as my King, had a better rake, longer wheelbase and a lower bike stock, thing ride like a dream, had a 90" motor, shaft driven, I loved that bike.

I only sold it to pay some bills and I did so well in the sale,( I doubled my cash) I was able to buy another bike, my new to me Road King.

But I was looking at vtx's and a few other bikes.
I will ride any companies bike if it is good looking, can tour, is comfortable, reliable, etc..
Doesnt have to be a Harley.

After buying a brand new Harley and a used one, I know I will own other Harleys but I will never buy another new one.

I have to mod to much on any model to b comfortable for me with a 34" inseam and long arms an really bad back, I cant afford to buy a new bike and then drop 5 to 10k into it, but I can buy used Hogs and make them perfect for me.

I just love to ride.

I will say my Drifter had lines of people at it at Bike week Laconia, people walked right past dozens of sg's and rg's and dynas to look at it and talk to me about it, and I never saw another one all week all over the state.

I could never take that bike anywhere without someone asking me what year it was, at stop lights, gas pumps, parking lots, anywhere there was enough time, someone would yell out, nice bike!!, what year? lol,

I paid 3400$ for that bike with 4400 miles on it an sold it for 6500 with 7700 miles just a year or two later, just 4 months ago.

I do love it when it all comes together sometimes like you said, at that moment I just cant believe everyone doesnt ride and I smile.

Its one of the only times you dont have people in your ear, on the phone in your face, its just you and the ride.

Lump