Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter will not roll over, nothing!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:16 AM
ZAKMANDO
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter will not roll over, nothing!

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum but have been a long time reader, I have got a problem that is one in million. I have a 2008 Road King Classic, always runs well. I keep it on a battery tender (I have a GPS so I keep it plugged in) 7/26/12 we had a bad storm, I got home from work I had 3 triped breakers in the house(my phones are fried the zone control for the boiler is fried so it the motor in the boiler the house had been struck by lightning) one went to the garage. I reset the breakers went to garage the battery tender light was out, I unplugged it from the bike and wall plugged it back in the light flashes red green all the time. But that's not the problem I assume the battery tender is junk, the bike will not roll over, I turn the ignition on the pump goes on, the ecm light lites and goes off you hit the start button nothing. The kill switch is on run, I checked all the fuses, the battery reads 12.56 volts, I gave up and took it to the dealer, I haven't heard anything back yet, does anyone have an idea what happened to the bike? Make your best quess I have no prize, but I will post what the dealer finds. Thanks

Old 07-30-2012, 09:50 AM
SinisterX
Road Warrior
Received 1,362 Likes on 473 Posts

My guess - security system malfunction.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:26 AM
fxdxrdr
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best guess, after security system, starter relay

Old 07-30-2012, 10:40 AM
ZAKMANDO
5th Gear

It does not have security system. I still have not heard from the dealer yet.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:36 PM
fxdxrdr
Advanced

if the battery is good, then check the wiring diagram, there are either 1 or 2 small wires that go to the starter, as well as the positive wire from the battery. you should be able to crank the starter by making a jumper that goes from your positive connecting on the starter, to the small wire on your starter. If it still doesn't turn over then it could be your starter, if it does, turn over then you will be able to atleast rule out the starter

Old 07-30-2012, 12:52 PM
chas41
Intermediate

12.56 VDC on the battery is low. Should look in to a new battery.
I had almost the same problem, got a new battery and everything is AOK.
Also make sure that you have a fresh battery in your FOB if you have one.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:54 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Guessing the surge traveled up the tender cables & into battery. Even though she's showing ~12.5V there could be bad cells, or it continued onto the starter (as stated above). I'd wait & see what dealer finds out, but it's either the battery, cables, or starter...good luck!

Old 07-30-2012, 01:32 PM
turnerbend
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Do the wiring from battery tender have a fuse link? I put a fused link in my tender wiring to prevent this from happening..

Old 07-30-2012, 02:48 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master

Rear brake light swithch?

Old 07-30-2012, 04:21 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't have a lightning strike but my 09 does the same thing. I have had to jump the 12V lead to the plastic connector spade terminal a few times to get the starter to turn over and then it will be fine for a month or a day depending on how it feels. It happened the other night and jumping it wouldn't make the starter engage either. I removed the cover from the solenoid ( 3 phillips) and pushed in the solenoid, the starter worked and I was able to get home. The starter button still wouldn't turn engage the starter so I jumped from the 12V lead to the terminal and it started. Works fine now again. WTF! WTF! I'm interested to see what they find with yours.

Quick Reply: Starter will not roll over, nothing!