Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird metallic noise, front exhaust pipe area.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 08:06 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Weird metallic noise, front exhaust pipe area.

Got this weird noise coming from somewhere around the area of where the front exhaust pipe attaches to the exhaust port. Heard it for the last month or so. Doesn't sound like anything serious, just annoying.

Not sure exactly where it's coming from, it's a metallic sound. Kinda sounds like metal expanding/contracting from heat. Kinda sounds like when you shut off the bike and you can hear metallic sounds as the metal cools, except, I can hear it while I'm riding the bike.

Seems to be worse on hot days. I thought maybe one of the clamps for the heat shields had broken or come loose, but I checked and they're ok.

Seems to be worse after coming to a stop for a stop sign or traffic light and then taking off again.

Anyone else hearing something like this?

Last edited by Talldog; 07-30-2012 at 08:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-30-2012, 08:35 AM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Exhaust gasket or exhaust gasket bolts loose? Exhaust leak while running will sound like a ticking/tapping.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:52 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Its a common sound made by metal expanding from heat sounding like tink tink tink noise. If you stand by your car after you shut off your car you'll hear it as well......normal.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mrmud4x4
Exhaust gasket or exhaust gasket bolts loose? Exhaust leak while running will sound like a ticking/tapping.
Thing is, it's not a steady sound, just a varying sometimes hear it, sometimes goes away kind of thing.

Almost sounds like I dropped a screw in the front exhaust pipe and it rattles around once in a while?

Old 07-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Its a common sound made by metal expanding from heat sounding like tink tink tink noise. If you stand by your car after you shut off your car you'll hear it as well......normal.
Tucci,

It does sound like metal expanding/contracting from heat, but I never used to hear it, only the last month or so. And I shouldn't hear it while riding, just after shutting the bike down.

Only thing I can think of, is that we've had weather that is hotter than normal lately, maybe it's just the increased heat?

Old 07-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Mickey D
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think what you are hearing is the slightest of 'ping'. The ignition computer is advancing the ignition timing to the maximum for the conditions (altitude, temp, load).
It has also been described like pebbles off the tire inside the fender.

Continue to use premium fuel, no harm being done.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:10 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mickey D
I think what you are hearing is the slightest of 'ping'. The ignition computer is advancing the ignition timing to the maximum for the conditions (altitude, temp, load).
It has also been described like pebbles off the tire inside the fender.

Continue to use premium fuel, no harm being done.
Mickey,

Thanks, your "pebbles off the tire inside the fender" sounds exactly like it.

Guess that would explain why I've been hearing it more lately with the hotter weather we've had in the midwest?

I do use Premium Fuel from Mobil, I think it's 93 octane.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:50 PM
mofat01
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Talldog
Got this weird noise coming from somewhere around the area of where the front exhaust pipe attaches to the exhaust port. Heard it for the last month or so. Doesn't sound like anything serious, just annoying.

Not sure exactly where it's coming from, it's a metallic sound. Kinda sounds like metal expanding/contracting from heat. Kinda sounds like when you shut off the bike and you can hear metallic sounds as the metal cools, except, I can hear it while I'm riding the bike.

Seems to be worse on hot days. I thought maybe one of the clamps for the heat shields had broken or come loose, but I checked and they're ok.

Seems to be worse after coming to a stop for a stop sign or traffic light and then taking off again.

Anyone else hearing something like this?
I have same noise almost exactly how you described it. Same issues on hotter days its there, cooler days or when i park in the shade at work i don't hear it. never hear it in the mornings but after bike sits outside at work in the sun makes that noise till it cools off.

I'm coming up on 1k mile service will have dealer check it out, i think its the heat shield also but i plan to switch out the stock exhaust so hopefully it goes away then.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Dale_K
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is totally a guess but you might check the rubber hangers for the mufflers and the muffler clamps. The muffler clamp can let the mufflers move rearward until they kind of jam up on the rubber hangers. Then the exhaust system is no longer free to move and it puts a strain on the header connection. Like I said a guess.

You could also completely loosen the worm drive clamps for the heat shields and kind of move things slightly and then retighten. My bike made a funny sound from that area and it was the heat shields or clamps.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:57 PM
ZombyWoof
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing here on my '12 FXDC. I know the pinging from the engine cooling down when off is normal, but hearing it while riding had me saying "WTF?!" The heat shields/clamps expanding and contracting while running is a probable explanation. My 1k service is coming up so I'll see what the shop says when I take it in. I'm glad I found this post before I went nuts.

Quick Reply: Weird metallic noise, front exhaust pipe area.