Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security system not operating per manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 11:29 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Security system not operating per manual

The factory security system on my new 2012 SG is not operating as per the owners manual.
With the security system activated (red key light blinking and no fob present) and if you move the bike the security activates which is OK.
But when you stop the movement (put the bike back on the jiffy stand) the security system should rearm and the red key light start blinking.
And after the key light starts to blink as long as the bike isn't moving the system should rearm and work normally.
But my the security system on my bike blinks the turn signal lights for 30 secs then the red key light blinks 4 times and then the turn signals start blinking indicating the security system is still detecting motion, but the bike has been still.
This sequence repeats for a total of 5 or more minutes then the system rearms and works normally.

According to the manual the system isn't suppose to work like this.
Does anybody have any insight?

Old 07-30-2012, 03:31 AM
karbar99
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P51Driver
The factory security system on my new 2012 SG is not operating as per the owners manual.
With the security system activated (red key light blinking and no fob present) and if you move the bike the security activates which is OK.
But when you stop the movement (put the bike back on the jiffy stand) the security system should rearm and the red key light start blinking.
And after the key light starts to blink as long as the bike isn't moving the system should rearm and work normally.
But my the security system on my bike blinks the turn signal lights for 30 secs then the red key light blinks 4 times and then the turn signals start blinking indicating the security system is still detecting motion, but the bike has been still.
This sequence repeats for a total of 5 or more minutes then the system rearms and works normally.

According to the manual the system isn't suppose to work like this.
Does anybody have any insight?
My guess it's because you've set the alarm off. If you had the optional audible siren unit http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US you would have heard I believe 2 chirps prior to setting off the alarm. What you're describing is normal.

Last edited by karbar99; 07-30-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Added Link
Old 07-30-2012, 06:55 AM
P51Driver
Road Warrior

Mu understanding is that after setting off the alarm by moving the bike and once the bike has been stationary for a few moments the turn signals should stop flashing. But even after the bike is stationary the turn signals continue to lash for 5 or more minutes.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:13 PM
karbar99
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P51Driver
Mu understanding is that after setting off the alarm by moving the bike and once the bike has been stationary for a few moments the turn signals should stop flashing. But even after the bike is stationary the turn signals continue to lash for 5 or more minutes.
You mentioned in your last post that the fob is not present once setting off the alarm so therefor the alarm will continue, which flashing of the turn signals will be normal. This will continue either for the period of the time you mentioned or until the fob is brought close to the bike.
When this is happening within the time you're describing, bring the fob close to the bike and flashing of the turn signals should stop. If not, check/replace the battery in the fob.
Again if I'm reading your post right, it sounds normal.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:26 PM
ndnguyd
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty simple, once you set the alarm off buy moving the bike of course its going to keep going for five minutes what good would it be if it shut it self off once you un touch (so to speak) the bike. The bike sensed a void in the lean angle of the bike there for sets the alarm into action until approached with key fob.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:40 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior

Took it in to the dealer today and compared it to other SG's with the security system.
The other bikes operated as per the manual. Mine does not.
If the system is armed and the fob isn't present and the bike is moved upright off the jiffy stand for more than a couple seconds and then placed back on the stand.
The security system activates and the turnsignals blink for a few seconds, then the security system rechecks the motion detector and if it doesn't sense and motion it resets the security system back to normal standby operation.

My system doesn't reset when after the first series of turnsignal blinks after the bike is moved and placed back on the stand, my system does check the motion sensor after the first series of turnsignal blinks but even with the bike back on the stand and no motion detected it then starts another series of alarm turnsignal blinks and will continue this operation for as long a 20 minutes today at the dealership.
This is not normal.
And the mechanic after checking the system for a couple hours determined that it is a bad security module and ordered a new one.
So we shall see if this fixes the issue.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:42 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior

Also if you guys have the security system on your bikes, check this out and see what happens.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Buzzard42
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine stops after the fist series of blinks, but thanks for letting everyone know. If the is one bad modual out there, there might be more.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:33 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

My 07 would go through a series of flashing (no siren). My new ones seem to only go through one series and stop (have siren).

Some one want to add a siren but not at HD's price. Radio Shack has one for $5.79 plus your state tax that does a good job and is an easy install.

The part number is out in the garage now and I will post tomorrow. I just installed on the Road Glide and it works great.