Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help please!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 12:52 PM
markasallen
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help please!!!!!!!!!

I bought a new Electraglide back in 09 and had trouble with the fly by wire. As I am riding i loose throttle. The bike will idle but no throttle. I have two other friends that own 09 Ultras and same issues. Took the bike into HD for a full diagnostics and no issues or codes showed up. The first yr of having this bike it did it all the time, then I was fortunate where it just sopped for a year and now it's back. I replaced the "Twist grip sensor" and now it's worse.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:48 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

check the plug at the throttle body- remove and clean contacts.

2.) if you changed wiring ( like for new bars) check the work.

3.) if you have aftermarket grips ( like the kury) the internal gear can wear or break loose- causing response problems- this has been reported by a few riders and one of my Pals tracked his problem down to exactly this...on the eve of authorizing $1000 repair...

Mike

Old 07-28-2012, 05:33 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with mkguitar- and also add to check/clean the contacts at the ECM module and put some dialectric grease in there before pushing it back together.

Another place to check is the TCM (throttle control module) for moisture/corrosion behind the air cleaner, especially if you pressure wash the bike.
The manual says you can't take it apart and it's a one shot deal but that's BS.
The clips at the back are hard to get to but it can be done.

Also If none of those work I would be removing the tank and start tracing wires through the loom looking for internally broken wires-- they stick out like dogs ***** when internally broken and you'll know one when you see it.

Could be something as simple as a pinched wire.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:59 PM
RKC Traveler
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently lost throttle on my '09 entering a busy street. Damn near got hit. I got the bike to a local dealer and I was told they've seen this a lot on '09s. My bike was throwing a code (2135). Harley issued a Service Bulletin about the problem to their service departments, but no recall. An 8-terminal socket was replaced (part number 72663-11) and that seems to have fixed it. The part/labor was covered under the extended warranty, after deductible.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:37 AM
HmanT
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '09 SE Ultra that does the same thing. I do not want to fall victim to the dealer charging me to "troubleshoot" and not being able to solve the problem. I have noticed the engine light come on once the switch is moved to "run". Then, it goes off and comes right back on. If I wait until it goes off the second time I will have no problems. If I start the bike before the light goes off the second time I will lose the throttle at some point during the ride. Today the light would not go out at all after the second time it came on. I started the bike anyway and had no throttle. I went in and recorded the codes and then cleared them. Now, the light does not come on the second time at all and the throttle works properly. I AM going to try cleaning the connections and monitor to see if the problem repeats. Thanks for the good info!