Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best fuel additive to use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012 | 01:08 PM
ScreamingRK
|
Intermediate
Default Best fuel additive to use?

I have been getting rotten gas mileage and I bet it is because of the ethanol in the gasoline. What is the best additive or booster to use to help me improve the rotten mileage I have been getting?....I am talking around 30MPG....There is a station that has non ethanol but it is 30 minutes away so I would waste too much fuel getting there and back

Old 07-27-2012 | 01:17 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't think there is anything you can do. Octane boosters or fuel system cleaners cannot add btu's to the fuel.
Ethanol has less btu's than gasoline so unless you can find a way to get er done you are just gonna have to accept it.
Unless this is a new running condition and if it is I am going to suggest the o2 sensors may be shot.

Old 07-27-2012 | 01:23 PM
ScreamingRK
|
Intermediate

actually I just got the bike 3 weeks ago and have been getting rotten mileage from the get go.....didnt know if it was inherent to the stroker 103 motor. I have been not playing with the throttle ( as hard as it is NOT to).

Old 07-27-2012 | 01:27 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

I cant see what year model your bike has including what's been done to the bike ( mobile app) ie; completely stock, tuner & what kind etc. Fuel quality is not likely your problem.

Old 07-27-2012 | 01:33 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

My 106 gets 35mpg in the city,and that's me enjoying myself and up to 50 on the highway so yours has slightly less cubes but burns double the fuel. Is your bike tuned properly. Are all the sensors operating properly. Is it throwing any codes

Old 07-27-2012 | 02:45 PM
NMNSG08
Road Captain

I like the lucas fuel system addative.

The following users liked this post:
Jimmy McCormick (08-31-2019)
Old 07-27-2012 | 02:48 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ScreamingRK
I have been getting rotten gas mileage and I bet it is because of the ethanol in the gasoline. What is the best additive or booster to use to help me improve the rotten mileage I have been getting?....I am talking around 30MPG....There is a station that has non ethanol but it is 30 minutes away so I would waste too much fuel getting there and back
I don't think ethanol has anything to do with your gas mileage. What makes you think it is?

Old 07-27-2012 | 02:49 PM
ScreamingRK
|
Intermediate

not throwing a code at all....I just went out and replaced the vaccumm line on the hypercharger since it was split. Maybe now that the butterfiles are operating properly it might help a bit with the fuel consumption.

I am new to Harleys and to be honest I dont even know it is even has a tuner...On my old jap bike it was under the seat ( microprocessor for fuel/air).

All I know is that it is a 103 that was stroked from an 88 in 2003. Think it has a 256 cam which I was told throws more torque out. Has a Kury Hypercharger and rinehart true duals.

LOL, sorry, I know I am not much help!!

Old 07-27-2012 | 02:50 PM
ScreamingRK
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
I don't think ethanol has anything to do with your gas mileage. What makes you think it is?
Listening to some people at work talking about how they are getting better mileage and better overall operation from thier bikes/lawn mowers/cages using non ethanol fuel....

Old 07-27-2012 | 02:51 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

the cost of the fuel additive never returns on investment enough gas saved to justify the price of the additive....you could just buy more gas. you have a 2003....how many miles...maybe you need new rings...valve work...etc.

Quick Reply: Best fuel additive to use?