Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Else Struggle between RKC and SG

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012 | 02:55 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master

Had a '10 ultra. Just traded for new rk. After riding the ultra for 2 years, the king is like riding a mini bike. For me it's far more nimble. The only thing i can see missing is hand protection. The rk windsheild does a fantastic job on the highway and the front end is MUCH lighter. Ive had several faired bikes and just wanted a change.

Old 07-27-2012 | 03:18 PM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member

i went through the same exact thing last summer when I was trying to decide and actually had my heart set on a RKC. I LOVE the look of them and the ride was outstanding...that was until I rode a Road Glide Custom. The rest they say is history. Honestly though, the street glide was never a real option because so many people have them. Also, looking at them from the front, i just couldnt and still couldnt get past that fairing looking like a big huge wall. Whatever you do though, DONT RIDE A ROADIE because it will end all consideration you have for any other touring bike Harley makes.

Old 07-27-2012 | 03:27 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

I don't know, fairing bikes are more plastic,
but RK's to me look like BIGGER softails.. only a touring bike.

The windshields are like sails too on the RK's,
and yes it feels like you sit on the RK's and not in them like the SG's.

Old 07-27-2012 | 03:28 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Tough call. Both the SG and RK are nice bikes. It comes down to the stereo, fairing, seat and suspension (SG is lowered with less shock travel.) All I can say is ask yourself what's important and make a comparison checklist.

Old 07-27-2012 | 03:49 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member

I sruggled with S/G vs Limited love the hot rod look of the S/G but in the end I travel a lot and wife rides with me soooo got the limited

Old 07-27-2012 | 03:57 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dyna07custom
I sruggled with S/G vs Limited love the hot rod look of the S/G but in the end I travel a lot and wife rides with me soooo got the limited
Yeah, I hear ya. I put a lot of miles on the bike too and THOUGHT my wife would ride with me so I went Ultra. At the time I seem to remember the price of an SG being closer to an Ultra but now it seems to be the same as a EGC. Other reasons I said no to SG was I wanted to be the one to pick out the upgraded parts instead of Willie, tall enough I didn't need the less comfortable lowered suspension, and I hated the SG wheels.

Old 07-27-2012 | 04:04 PM
Pagan48
Road Warrior

It truly is a matter of personal preference. I rode both and bought the RKC. Very happy and have 7k miles since March 15. My long day was 670 miles. Very comfortable with stock seat. I'm just not a fairing kinda guy and have no real desire for tunes.

Old 07-27-2012 | 04:19 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member

I've owned and love both. I've decided the best choice depends on your mood. Yes, I know that doesn't help, but the Harley pulls on our emotions and emotions change on the moment.

The answer you don't want to hear is get a used bike that you can get your money back it turns out not to be the bike. Then go out and buy the new one you want. That is what I did and now I have a great SG. Still though, I miss that RKC and I'm watching for a good enough deal that my wife will let me own both.

Beary

Old 07-27-2012 | 04:35 PM
bellgnte
Road Master

I had almost the same dilemma. I was choosing between the RK standard and SG. $2500 in price difference made it a little easier. You'll get tired of those leather bags. Good luck with tour decision. It's a fun problem to have.

Old 07-27-2012 | 04:41 PM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain

I started with a super nice 93 FatBoy four years ago. I loved the bike but it was very small. I then bought my 03 RCC and I really thought it was the "Cats ***" but after doing alot of riding this year. I have decided id like more room and the seat selection for the RKC SUCKS!!! The windshield off the RKC I think is by far the best looking H-D made. That being said everytime I ride without the windshield I wish I had it on. Plus the radio option is a nice feature.

So I just bought a 09 SG...So will see how I like it.For next month I will have them both in the garage just in case I change my mind....

Quick Reply: Anyone Else Struggle between RKC and SG