Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

satellite radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 01:25 PM
jeffca
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default satellite radio

Can someone tell me best wat to get power to xm radio on my06 roadking.I have cigerette lighter plug that came with radio andi know there has to be a harness or someway to get power to radio thanks Jeff

Old 01-17-2007, 01:56 PM
jackj
Banned
Default RE: satellite radio

I just "hard" wired to the cig circuit

Old 01-17-2007, 04:41 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That's what I did too.Hardwire[sm=deal.gif] cut the end off the power supply cord and hardwire it to the cigar outlet inside the fairing.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:31 PM
ultra man
Intermediate

Inside the fairing, there is an orange wire going to the headlight area. That is a 12 volt wire and it goes through the ignition switch.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:52 PM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You have to watch on some radio's, they make a special hard wire hook up. I have the Roady and there is a step down in voltage built into the cig plug, the radio does not operate on 12V. I installed another cig plug under my fairing and pluged the radio in there. Then I ran a bead of clear silicon around the plug so it would not vibrate loose or out. Tapped into the cig plug inside the fairing for power.On your Road King you can also get the adapter to hook up to the plug under the seat for Aux. power, it come as a wire or with cig plug on the end. If you hard wire right off your battery it then also be used as a place to plug in a battery tender, just put a plug for a cig on the tender, also a place to charge a cell phone.
Clap

Old 01-17-2007, 08:48 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be careful on XM's they need a voltage reducer or you'll fry your reciever on 12Volts, they have to be cut back to 5 or 6 volts is what many on the board have said.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:07 PM
curmudgeon
Cruiser

No, no, no.
First go to WalMart and get one of the ciggarett outlets with the spring loaded cover. Mount it pointing down by drilling and tapping a couple of holes in the frame gusset that is just forward and below the gas tank. Now reach up under the headlight and you will find a couple of wires (my '01 hads a pair in there. I don't know about yours). Connect to them.
Plop the antenna on top of the headlight and you're done.
When it starts to rain you can unplug everything in a few seconds.
I take pictures but it's 7 degrees and dark.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Bluking06
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I connected mine to the orange wire in the head light housing. My Speakers are connected to it as well......works really good. I got my setup from custom cycle sounds ( customcyclesound.com) go to the website and download the instructions, very easy.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:48 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sirius, 12 volt, no reducer, hard wire[sm=boink3.gif]

Old 02-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Seawolf
Tourer

This is an old thread from a few months ago, but I did a search and this was the only one I could find. I am in the process of hooking up the Sirius sportster receiver on my 03 Road King. I noticed at the HD dealership they sella cigar plug that is supposed to plug into the wire harness inside the headlight. I looked inside the headlight housing and noticed an orange plug and I assume this is where the cigar plug connects to.
There is an aux switch on the left side of the chrome housing opposite the highway light switch. I assume this powers the aux power hookup. Am I on track so far?

My question is: Is this the best way to hook all this up, or is there a cleaner way to do it so there aren't a whole lot of wires running all over the place.

Right now I already have external (amped) speakers on my bike and the power for those is routed straight to the fuse box. I use an iPod with my speakers on battery power. With the Sirius there isn't a volume control on the reciever is there? is there a model that has a volume control on it?

Looking for ideas, thanks.

Quick Reply: satellite radio