Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monkey Bars Pullback question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 11:15 AM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am rockin' the 12"PYO bars on my 07 SG. I have them pulled back about 1.5" from vertical.
Doing that made the bars more comfortable and the bike rides like a dream... I don't plan on doing any 90 degree corners but there is plenty of clearance from the bars to the gas tank.

Ride safe!
Jim

Old 08-16-2012, 12:50 AM
Mixter
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Jim...I think I will be getting a set of PYO bars...just need to decide between the 12" and 10"

Old 08-16-2012, 10:30 AM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mixter
Thanks Jim...I think I will be getting a set of PYO bars...just need to decide between the 12" and 10"
I tried the 10" bars on a friends bike.. they were okay but when I tried a bike with 12" bars... I was sold!

Old 08-16-2012, 12:09 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

You can rock them back a lot. It does affect the look negatively once you get past a certain point. Mine are pretty vertical and the reach is comfortable. I'm 5'10". I'd go with the next size taller than you think you want. Part of what makes them comfortable is the height another is the bend for your wrist. I no longer have that pain in my upper back between my shoulder blades even after 500+ mile days. I have picks in my profile in the stuff album.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:33 PM
mike1158
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm 5'6 and i have 10" Monkey bars....they fit me great... my bike feels SOOOOOOOO much better then stock.
I went with 10s cuz They are plenty tall for me... and i didn't want my hands up over the fairing.....
Install is a whole other story... NOT EASY... but worth it... i am always getting compliments and most important is the I love they way they feel

Old 08-16-2012, 01:02 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have 13" Prime Apes which are basically the same as PYO Monkey Bars. One thing to note is that these bars are very wide. I just adjusted the position of my bars last night and will be buttoning her back up tonight. I think they are about 1.5 to 2 inches back from the inner fairing. I have the three pouch setup on the inside of my windshield and my bars were just touching the case on outer end.
Another thing to consider is just about everyone who gets apes or monkey bars always says they wish they went higher.
Im 5'10" and I cold easily go 15" rise.

I also don't see any problem pulling bars back more and clearing the tank. Hope this helps.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking to get the Primeapes too. I hear they are wide. Do you know what stock width is? Curious where the measurement is taken exactly.

Can you share an exact measurement (CL of grip to grip?). And then I will measure my stock ones and compare. Thanks!

Old 08-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

There is some room for some pull back, and I think you'll find they fit you well once you get them mounted, and throw a leg over the saddle, and position them just where you want them.

I'm not a big guy, about 5'10'', 235, with 34-35" sleeve length. I have my bars pushed as far forward as I can, perfectly vertical. My brake master cylinder banjo bolt just barely touches the windshield. For me, it's the perfect bit.

About the PrimeApes, they come out of the fairing, and from what I've seen, the upright portion of the bars are more of a "V" shape, whereas the PYO MBB's are vertical when looking from the rear of the bike forward.

Also, not sure if you've read it or not on hear, but with 10's, you'll need to more to bar-mounted mirrors.

I've never heard anyone install bars and say they wish they'd gone smaller. If you're undecided, the 12's would probably be a great fit.

Hell, I went 14's, and while I love their height, I've almost got myself talked into 16's this winter. My wife will kill me when she finds out that I've even thought of it. :-)

Old 08-17-2012, 07:15 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

From end of grip to end of grip is 41 1/2 inches. Mine are roughly 4 inches outside fairing. They are WIDE! I wish there were a few inches narrower, but then they wouldn't clear the nacelle housing.

Now I did come across a glide at the local dealership that had regular apes that were narrow. I went in to inquire as they were really comfortable. Turns out its the owners bike and he had the ends cut off and re chromed. They said the whole thing cost about 600 out the door. too rich for my wallet. Ill live with the apes for now.

Originally Posted by 2807
Looking to get the Primeapes too. I hear they are wide. Do you know what stock width is? Curious where the measurement is taken exactly.

Can you share an exact measurement (CL of grip to grip?). And then I will measure my stock ones and compare. Thanks!

Old 08-17-2012, 08:18 AM
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyFLHX
From end of grip to end of grip is 41 1/2 inches. Mine are roughly 4 inches outside fairing. They are WIDE! I wish there were a few inches narrower, but then they wouldn't clear the nacelle housing.

Now I did come across a glide at the local dealership that had regular apes that were narrow. I went in to inquire as they were really comfortable. Turns out its the owners bike and he had the ends cut off and re chromed. They said the whole thing cost about 600 out the door. too rich for my wallet. Ill live with the apes for now.
Thanks for the measurement.

For the record: My stock 2012 CVO Road glide Custom is 34" from outside tip-to-tip of the grips.

Quick Reply: Monkey Bars Pullback question?