Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes wiring WTF

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:31 PM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Apes wiring WTF

Got my Wild1s 12 1/2s in today. Beautiful. Have any of you made up your own wiring? The prices for the kits have varied between 250$ from FBI to almost 400 from Yaffe. So I thought Id just buy the clutch cable and brake line from Harley and get the wires from ACE or Home Depot and splice em in myself.
Any electrical geniuses out there see any problems with doing this to the drive by wire? Or should I get the longer wire kit from HD? Some guidance from some of you guys who have wired em yourself would be appreciated.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:47 PM
slvdout
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I can't speak for the tbw, but I have installed a couple sets of apes. I bought bulk wire and spliced them myself.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Larry the Landlord
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I did mine last winter, Prime Apes. I cut the existing wires and extended them. Iwould not use the wire you buy at the auto parts store, insulation is too soft. I think it would be an easy job with normal bars.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:07 PM
Larry the Landlord
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry, mine does not have tbw

Old 07-25-2012, 11:20 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Yes I did it all with a spool of 18 gauge wire. Soldered, shrink tubing etc. Also cut the green TBW plug out of the loop and hardwired it the same way. I watched a video on ape install by LAChoppers over and over till I got a good idea of what I had to do( youtube). A +6 on both the clutch and right MS brake line should be fine. Make sure your clutch slack is factory pull of 3 & 1/2".

Old 07-25-2012, 11:32 PM
09FLHT
Banned

Ya, Im not worrying much about the switches. Ive done a set of apes before by splicing and sautering. The TBW is whats got me wondering.
I dont know what gauge wire to use for any of it either. Anyone know?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:49 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just ordered extended wires monday and it ran about $50.00. It was the cables which I bought from Magnum Shielding that ran me over $200.00.

Here's where I ordered my wires from. I hope it helps!

http://www.namzcustomcycleproducts.c...to_06.html#top

Old 07-25-2012, 11:49 PM
HTNHARD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Yes I did it all with a spool of 18 gauge wire. Soldered, shrink tubing etc. Also cut the green TBW plug out of the loop and hardwired it the same way. I watched a video on ape install by LAChoppers over and over till I got a good idea of what I had to do( youtube). A +6 on both the clutch and right MS brake line should be fine. Make sure your clutch slack is factory pull of 3 & 1/2".
Very well said. Exactley.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:53 PM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HTNHARD
Very well said. Exactley.
Did mine back this winter. Agreed, no need to buy the Yaffe kit. Wish I hadn't spent the money on it either. Get the brake lines from Magnum, and get the clucth cable from someone else too.If you're going with 10" bars, the stock clutch cable is fine. The one Yaffe sent me, was the exact same length as the stocker. No need to pay Yaffe's price on that stuff.

Last edited by Wanna Ride; 07-25-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:40 AM
09FLHT
Banned

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Ill check that out.

Quick Reply: Apes wiring WTF