Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes wiring WTF

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 12:50 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 564 Likes on 394 Posts
Old 07-26-2012, 09:46 AM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bklynbob
i used a kit from www.designsbynovello.com
500 - Internal server error.
There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.
linky no worky

Old 07-26-2012, 10:04 AM
bglider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a kit through burly for $129, included wires and clutch cable

Old 07-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Frogprince
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I just got done doing the 12.5 Bagger Apes from Wild 1 (WO577B).

I did exactly as you said. I wired in 10" extensions in the wire and soldered and heat shrink the joints. I read online that you only needed 6 inches for these bars. To keep the stock location of the plugs on my 99 it turned out to be 10 inches of wiring was needed.

With some shopping around I found the LA Chopper kit in stainless for my bike for 295. It was actually more expensive if I tried to piece the kit together from say JP Cycles. All in all I spent about 500 on the bars and cables.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:37 AM
sportsterdave
Intermediate

I just did this to my Ultra a few months ago. Not a difficult job, just takes some time.

For the wiring I went with the Namz +8 kit......I don't have TBW but for the harness's themselves you don't need an extension kit at all. You can just run the wires through the bars and connect them under the radio....there is plenty of room there and it can save yourself a few bucks...if I was to do it again I would save the money and not do the extension kit.

Just helped install PYO Monkey Bars (12") on a buddies bike, he didn't use any extensions and it worked perfectly!

Just my 2 cents, ride safe all!

Old 07-26-2012, 12:41 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sportsterdave
I just did this to my Ultra a few months ago. Not a difficult job, just takes some time.

For the wiring I went with the Namz +8 kit......I don't have TBW but for the harness's themselves you don't need an extension kit at all. You can just run the wires through the bars and connect them under the radio....there is plenty of room there and it can save yourself a few bucks...if I was to do it again I would save the money and not do the extension kit.

Just helped install PYO Monkey Bars (12") on a buddies bike, he didn't use any extensions and it worked perfectly!

Just my 2 cents, ride safe all!
Why extend the wiring if you don't have to? Should be able to reroute the wiring under the radio, there's plenty of wire already there.
Also, instead of eliminating the green TBW plug just superglue it together, works like a charm! (and soldering makes wires brittle)

Old 07-26-2012, 01:19 PM
09FLHT
Banned

You are saying I won't have to lengthen the wires if I run them internally? I was planning on running them internally anyway. You guys are sure about that?

Old 07-26-2012, 01:56 PM
sportsterdave
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 09FLHT
You are saying I won't have to lengthen the wires if I run them internally? I was planning on running them internally anyway. You guys are sure about that?
Yeah run them through the bars, no extensions and you'll be good.

It'll make sense when you take your outer fairing off.......the current connection for the handlbar harness's attach to the fairing braces (both on the same side I believe and I believe it's the clutch side). Without the wire extensions the you won't be able to attach the connections to the fairing braces as before.......the connection for the harness's will just end up under the radio. It really doesn't make it anymore difficult to get to the connections, there is plenty of room under the radio and you'll save yourself a few bucks!

Old 07-26-2012, 04:01 PM
steelhead
Road Master

You are saying I won't have to lengthen the wires if I run them internally?
Yep, no need to extend for the 12.5 Wild Ones. Just reroute the wires around the radio. the plugs will not snap onto the little tit they do now but that is not a big deal at all. As for the TBW, there is plenty of room with that or at least there was on my CVO.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:04 PM
09FLHT
Banned

Well hell. That is awesome.
Can anyone tell me how much over I need to go on the clutch and brake line to be able to run them nice and neat along the bars?

Quick Reply: Apes wiring WTF