Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1/ warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Lemayco
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stage 1/ warranty

Can anyone tell me if the stage 1 upgrades void your warranty.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:29 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the dealer did the upgrade then no.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Doesn't matter who does the upgrade...No...

Old 07-25-2012, 11:01 AM
HDTimFLHX
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way it was explained to me last week when I bought my new bike was that if it's installed by the dealer, then it's a lot more likely to be covered by the warrenty. If they don't install it then they have someone else to blame it on and a way to wiggle they're way out of paying for it. Kindda blows though because who the hell can't bolt on an exhaust, an air cleaner and plug in a tunner. Sucks you have to pay them crazy labor rates for stuff you know you can do yourself...

Old 07-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

They gave you bad information. Look up the Magnuson Moss act...They have to PROVE that the mods you did caused the issue. If they cannot prove it, they have to cover it. If you break an exhaust stud bolting on an exhaust, they won't cover it. If you have the voltage regulator go out and you haven't messed with it, they will. Its federal law...At 95.00 dollars an hour for labor (and no shortage of gullible customers to pay it) it's no wonder they want to do the work...

Last edited by Northbound Southerner; 07-25-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-25-2012, 11:07 AM
beansSG
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer stated to me just this last weekend. I was asking about a 13 limited and doing a stage 1 and he said it would be covered. That's with them doing it.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:49 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by beansSG
Dealer stated to me just this last weekend. I was asking about a 13 limited and doing a stage 1 and he said it would be covered. That's with them doing it.
First, whatever the dealer "states" don't mean $hit! If it ain't in writing, it didn't happen. Second, refer to the post by themouth!!!, "Look up the Magnuson Ferguson act...They have to PROVE that the mods you did caused the issue. If they cannot prove it, they have to cover it. If a dealer tells you they have to do the work for it to be covered, you should find another dealer, one that is honest and knows what he is talking about.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:05 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by frog13
First, whatever the dealer "states" don't mean $hit! If it ain't in writing, it didn't happen. Second, refer to the post by themouth!!!, "Look up the Magnuson Ferguson act...They have to PROVE that the mods you did caused the issue. If they cannot prove it, they have to cover it. If a dealer tells you they have to do the work for it to be covered, you should find another dealer, one that is honest and knows what he is talking about.[/SIZE][/FONT]
True, but with an uncooperative dealer you may and have to fight their decision in small claims court.

Ive always found that a good dealer with a relationship to their customer will cover anything that should be covered.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:06 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

It's actually Magnuson-Moss. Maybe you guys are thinking Massey Ferguson, they build tractors. I think Harley covers themselves pretty good in their warranty explanation. You modify it then too bad. I really don't think it is up to Harley to prove anything as long as they state the warranty requirements which they do very explicitly in the owners manual. But if you want the hassle of going to court to prove your stage 1 didn't cause a valve to drop when the bike went lean then have at it.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member

Oops...You are right about the name...Not so much on the rest. Read the act. They have to prove it. The burden is on the manufacturer...

Quick Reply: Stage 1/ warranty