Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4" Rinehart with no baffles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012 | 11:39 AM
maddog76
|
Cruiser
Default 4" Rinehart with no baffles?

Hey guys, I am switching over here from the Dyna forum as I traded my '09 street bob last week for a '12 Street glide. I gutted the cat and added 4" rinehart slip ons. Has anyone removed their baffles and what do you think about it? Like the deep rumble when you get into it but wonder about removing the baffles for more sound.

Old 07-24-2012 | 12:29 PM
Low Down
Cruiser

If all you care about is how loud your bike can be, then removing the baffles will do the trick.... and it will sound like ****, make your bike run like ****, and give the general public one more reason to push for an aftermarket exhaust ban.

You really want all that??

I have Rinehart True Duals on my 07 EGC and I wrap my baffles in fiberglass (the kind you pack MX mufflers with), and not only does it help mellow the volume some while puttin' along - it also gives the pipes a deeper exhaust note. Sounds awesome. Give it a try...

Old 07-24-2012 | 12:36 PM
HighLiner
Road Warrior

I am going to try the loud baffles.

Old 07-24-2012 | 12:50 PM
MrHog
Road Captain

Congrats on the new scoot. I tried it last year when I had a set of the 4" Rineharts and had no back pressure at all. Perfomance was out the window, but this was also on true dual heads and not the setup you have with the gutted cat. Oh yeah, they were loud as hell and needed lots of fuel from the Power Commander to control the backfire on decel. I also tried the 2.5" perfomance baffle they make. Sound went up only a couple of decibels from stock baffles, but I had the performance back with the backflow. Run CFRs or Thunderheader if you want the sound and performance and modify the motor.

Last edited by MrHog; 07-24-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-24-2012 | 12:53 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

I wouldn't recommend running without baffles, these Twin Cams definitely benefit from the back pressure they create.

Old 07-24-2012 | 03:14 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member

It will sound like **** and backfire like a ****....but hey, if you tried it, at least you would know

Old 07-24-2012 | 03:35 PM
fenderzig
Road Master

I have 4 inch Rineharts with true duals and I tried it without baffles....I didn't like it at all. Sounded really sloppy and annoying and I like a loud exhaust. I have SE255 cams and that may have contributed to a harsher sound but in the end, I bought the high flow 2.5 baffles and have been very happy with them.

Old 08-26-2012 | 03:26 PM
rbrshvl
6th Gear

Originally Posted by MrHog
Congrats on the new scoot. I tried it last year when I had a set of the 4" Rineharts and had no back pressure at all. Perfomance was out the window, but this was also on true dual heads and not the setup you have with the gutted cat. Oh yeah, they were loud as hell and needed lots of fuel from the Power Commander to control the backfire on decel. I also tried the 2.5" perfomance baffle they make. Sound went up only a couple of decibels from stock baffles, but I had the performance back with the backflow. Run CFRs or Thunderheader if you want the sound and performance and modify the motor.

+1 on the motor modification. I have had 4 inch rineharts with cat in the head pipe, cat out of the head pipe, 2.5 high flow and only has moderately improved the sound. That eco-friendly cam is only going to lift the valves so much....it cannot sound like its got B*lls if it dont. a set of cams for your riding style will benefit the most in my opinion. I like loud pipes and so do a-lot of other riders....