Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King blues !

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Mad Dawg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King blues !

Man-o-man ! I was already to trade in or sell my 05' Fatboy and step up to an 07' FLHR Road King and now all i'm reading/hearing about is the tranny noise's in 5th & 6th gears and how hot the motors are running and the glowing pipes because of all the epa crap (o2 sensors and catalyst etc. ) and anyway i'm totally bummed out !

Old 01-16-2007, 11:39 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Road King blues !

I thought the same thing when I first started lurking on here. We always, it seems, look for those bad things first. I think if you look around for awhile on this forum there are far more guys pleased with their baggers than those who are not. Some, who bought their's last summer when they first came out,seem to be the ones who have had issues. Thelater build bikes seem to not have the issues that the earlier builds had.I'm waiting on delivery of my Red and Black Pearl RKC in February and can't wait.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:58 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. 5th & 6th gear noise? - Yeah, 5th has some but putting some 75/140 gear lube in at 1,000 maintenance helped some.
2. Running hot? - Yeah, somewhat. Not that big a deal until you are in stop-n-go traffic.
3. Pipes glowing" - They did at first. But since I had the ECM calibration that H-D recommended, I ahven't noticed it any more.

Got my bike in Sept. '06 and have almost 5,000 miles on it and love the hell out of it. Brother has a '07 SG and feels same way. He was first to tell me about glowing pipes. Didn't really notice it until he told me and then one night after I got home from work, turned off bike in dark garage and red at the y junction.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:14 AM
brokenfingers
Advanced

I've read alot about these issues as well, ponied up for an '07 Ultra and man, its been nothing but a dream. Havn't noticed heat issues, and yeah there is noise in 5th... didn't notice too much in 6th. Just had the 1K service done put in the amsoil MCV in the crankcase and primary, and severe gear in the tranny and can't hardly hear the 5th gear rattle... also heard that the sound becomes less as the bike breaks in. The dig that the starter is loud is true, but its a harley I always thought it was kinda cool. I think alot of people are expecting and trying to drive the '07s like their TC88 evo bikes... and you really can't. With the gearing and such the engine likes the higher revs. Took me some getting used to, but as long as you keep the revs over 2K my bike anyway just purrs... expecially going 70 in 6th. Never had a bike that wanted the open road so bad... it just doesn't want to ever stop.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:37 AM
radrex
Cruiser

I'll second the - loves the open road comment - my 07 ultra has some long legs for sure. 5th gear isn't too bad - and I can't hear it over the radio anyway. I had some rattling aka rocks in a can - but they did something on the 1000 mile service and it went away. I don't know what they did - but it is gone.

All that - and it is a Harley - and if I wanted smooth and quiet I'd have gotten a goldwing or BMW. If I was in Europe or had the autobahn I'ddefinitely a get the BMW.

But this is the USA - The speed limit here in Oklahoma is 75 on the turnpike and 70 on the interstate. I'll take an 07 Ultra anyday at these speeds - it is awesome and I am very happy at this point.

Can't wait until it warms up - right now its icy and my hog is getting dusty in the garage.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:42 AM
1st Harley
Cruiser

I was hesitant about getting a tourerat first because of all of the posts Ihad read about the noise problems. Finally went down today and changed my order for an 07 Heritage Classic to an '07 Ultra.It sounds likemost of the later bikes (after September) have the bugs worked out of them and that Harley will fix whatever comes up. Added Stage One and some slip-ons which most of the riders are doing. Changing the oil at 1000 miles to Amsoil and switching to Severe Gearhelps the sound pretty much disappear - from what I have read. Other guys have said that by 5000 miles everything sounds good. Maybe I'm being a bit optimistic (or stupid depending on who you talk to) but figured I would ride it like I stole it, keep the rpm's up and if something goes wrong, Harley will take care of it. Besides, momma wants to go on a trip this summer and she needs to be comfortable so I don't have to listen to her complain for 3500 miles.... No way the Heritage would have done that...

Old 01-17-2007, 01:21 AM
scarygt
Road Master

I actually didn't want a 06.... I specifically wanted the new 96 motor and 6 speed. I agree that the straight cut gears in 5th are a bit loud, but it isn't a problem.... that is how straight cut gears sound. I only have about 500 miles on my new King and I just love this bike to death. You just need to figure out when to shift... if you shift to early you will know it.

Go get your 07 and don't think twice about it! [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 01-17-2007, 05:16 PM
apco25guy
Cruiser

I completely agree with everyone's posts above. The whril in 5th isnt too bad. Its worse if you get into 5th at slower speeds, but if you get into 5th around 55, its not too bad.

I love my 07 FLHRC.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:33 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

no blues here! i got one of the first ones, picked it up july 22, and have had no problems. my bike is still bone stock, waiting to get the scratch up for a set of the v&h big shots true duals. 600 and some change is hard to spend at one time (for me anyways). i ordered a pciii from jamie at fuelmoto but haven't gotten that yet. he is gonna program it for stock ac and pipes, and then after i get the new pipes and ac he will email the new map. i have over 4k on mine now. yes, there is a different sound when your in 5th (due to the different cut gear) and i personally like it. its not overly loud, but i can tell when i'm in 5th with no problems

i would get the bike and enjoy it, and not worry about it

Old 01-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Mad Dawg
Advanced

I really want to thank all you guys for the great feedback. I do have one (maybe 2 more) questions about the 07' model RK. I've heard that the pipes have catalysts (type of catalytic convertor) in them and that they get hot as h3ll and also if i were to change the pipes or at least the ends doe's it void HD's factory warranty ? Any other imfo you'd like to pass will be greatly appreciated....thanks in advance and ride ooooooon !!!

Quick Reply: Road King blues !