Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recurved Windshields

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 03:20 PM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Recurved Windshields

I'm 6' 1" and have a 12" straight windshield on my ultra. I have no buffing but hate the large size. If I went with a recurved windshield, could I go shorter (10")? There's lots of re-curved shields on the market. Can anyone defend which are among the best makers?

Old 07-23-2012, 03:22 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bobros
I'm 6' 1" and have a 12" straight windshield on my ultra. I have no buffing but hate the large size. If I went with a recurved windshield, could I go shorter (10")? There's lots of re-curved shields on the market. Can anyone defend which are among the best makers?

Yes, you could probably do fine with a 10" shield. I'm not going to defend a company but if you are looking to buy I would go with either Fast Aire or LRS, both are sponsor of this forum.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:26 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I'm about your height- I like the windblast to hit just where my hairline is ( was)- most of the grit/crap and bugs just sail over.

The top edge of the windscreen "appears" about 40' in front of the bike in my line of sight.
The windscreen is high enough to tuck into in crap weather ( this may not be possible with a recurve style windscreen) and low enough that i don't look through it

I match the windscreen to the seat height;

with an ultra seat I use a -1.5"
with the streetglide seat mounted I use a -2.5"
with the brawler solo seat I use a -3"

I buy take off stock windscreens from "upgrading" riders for about $35 and i trim the bottom (hidden) edge with a rotozip to get the desired height.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 07-23-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:31 PM
tpcrawford
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give Freedom Shields a try (http://freedomshields.net/Windshields.html) Very nice shields and thicker than H-D shields.

I have a 7" recurve shield on my Ultra and love it. If you do decide to give them a try, as long as you don't remove the protective film on the sheild, you can return it if you don't like it or need a differant size.

-Tim

Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I have an 8 1/2 " KlockWerks that I like. Depends on whether you want to look through or over as to how high you need. With the recurves you just about have to look over because the curve causes distortion if you look through.

I choose my windshield height by placing an object(coffee can, tape measure etc.) on the ground 35 ft. in front of the center of the front axle and get a windshield that puts the object right at the top of the shield when I am setting on the bike. This gives real good wind deflection and still allows you to be looking over the shield.

Measure out 35 ft and place your object. Sit on the bike and have someone hold a straight edge up until the top of the straight edge is even with the object. Measure from where your shield goes into the fairing to the top of the straight edge. This will be the height you want for your shield. You can search the web for "windshield heights" for a better description with pics if my directions are too vague. There are some sites that explain real well.

Bill

Old 07-23-2012, 03:34 PM
kdichs1015
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run an 8 inch flattop and 9inch ultra recurve from Long Ride Shields. Good pricing, fast shipping and a quality product. I had no wind issues with the HD 10 inch shield, but didn't want to look through the top of it, so I bought the recurve.

I'd say if you're happy with your current shield, you could easily go 2 inches shorter in a recurve shield and not have any ill effects.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:00 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm 6'1", have the LRS 10" recurve/flip (whatever they call it!) on my 07 FLHT with a C&C solo seat (about 1" down & back) and could damn near light a smoke with a Bic at freeway speeds! Trying to find the right shield for the Roadglide now...

Old 07-23-2012, 04:51 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

You can definitely go shorter with the recurve. You just have to make sure you get the proper height for you. There's lots of considerations, ie height, seat height etc etc. : ) We have a good video on our website if you're interested. Good luck with the choice! : )

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 07-23-2012, 05:02 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

Out of the numerous windshields I have tried, my favorite is the LRS X-Stream, in the 10" variety (as seen in my sig pic). I have found that if the shield comes to the tip of my nose, they work best to control bufeting.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Louderisbetter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 6'00", jut recently took off my 12" clear shield and put on a LRS recurve9" shield and it's great. Wind can be felt about 1 inch above my helmet. From what I've researched, LRS is the cheapest around and mention this forum for a 40% discount

Quick Reply: Recurved Windshields