Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total newbie questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:14 AM
01ntrainultra
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total newbie questions.....

Ok....so here goes. I'm looking for lots and lots of input....

I just purchased a used 02 Ultra Classic. This is my first venture into a touring bike, as my last bike was a Night Train.

The bike was shipped to me, so when I got it off the truck today I noticed several things that are a bit different than my Night Train, but they are technically the same engine(T/C 88)

My biggest issue is a pretty serious engine vibration problem at idle. As far as I know about this bike, it's totally stock. It also pops quite a bit when I let off the throttle. Not that this is a big problem for me, but wondering if it's affecting the engine at all. It just seems like it's starving for power....and I know it's there because the NT had it.

I plan on doing a Stage 1 upgrade right off the bat, and adding some new slip-ons to let this thing breathe easier. That should help a lot. What I'm concerned is about the vibration issues. The NT never had it....in fact, that bike was as stable as they came, until I got on it.

Bring on the knowledge....

Old 07-23-2012, 12:31 AM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pop might be loose exhaust header and/or pipes.

How many miles on it? A tune up might be in order. Wires, plugs, etc.

I always change out the oils when I get a "New to me" machine. Just to know that all is fresh and it is whatever oil I like.

Vibration may simply be new motor mounts if the old ones are shot.

Pull off the side covers and seat to see if there are any after market electronics connected. You may want to go back to stock, if it is simply a matter of disconnecting wires to some plug in add-ons, and go from there.

Do the simple things first.

I do not know about the 88's. But one in a NT could be different than one in a bagger. The current Softails have a different engine from the Road King as the Softail have the smoother crank or cam because of the lack of isolating motor mounts. And the Softail engine is definately smoother. Perhaps there is a similar difference between the 88's.

Last edited by Matt0987; 07-23-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:34 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

well, a night train is the softail frame - and a different motor!

the softail bikes use the "B" motor, which has balancing shafts to quell vibrations- but those shafts are a parasitic power drain

the touring bikes use the "A" motor, which uses a rubber mounting system - the entire motor and tranny are on rubber "donuts".

these may be worn on an older bike.

BUT the touring motor does bob and weave at idle speeds- um, it's "part of the charm"- smooths out at higher revs.

do the stage 1 then see how it runs, the process of doing the stage 1 may cure any air leaks etc.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 07-23-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:39 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Softy's are hard mounted and balanced motors so they shake at speed. Touring rigs have motor mounts so they are the opposite. Run smooth and shake all over at idle.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:42 AM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ntrainultra
The NT never had it....in fact, that bike was as stable as they came, until I got on it.

Bring on the knowledge....
The Ultra should shake like crazy at idle, then as you give it some throttle, it should be smooth as silk.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:46 AM
01ntrainultra
Advanced

Alright....that's what I'm talking about!

Had no idea about the differences in engines. Obviously, I'm quite the novice when it comes to engine characteristics. LOL

I also plan on tuning up, as well....

Any recommendations on plug wires? I always use NGK plugs.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:20 AM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I once heard some of the HD plugs have something in them. An electronic part. I may be wrong here. And it may only be for later models. So, make sure the plugs you buy are exactly the same. For the difference in cost you may just want to use the HD plugs.

Then again, if you do a stage 1, 2, 3, 5, 12, 137, who knows... you may be buying plugs as part of it. In fact, if you are going to buy plugs, wires, air cleaner, and stuff you might consider the stage whatever as some parts may be different depending on what you do. No need on paying twice for the same parts.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:29 AM
Redhill Phil
Cruiser

Any second hand machine will need you to investigate it's state. Hell man it's 10 years old. I brought a 2007 Dyna SG a couple of months ago ( 4900 miles) and I'm still finding stuff I first over looked. It's all part of the fun yeah ?

Old 07-23-2012, 04:53 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Hate to state the obvious but the Ultra is a good bit heavier than the NT. That alone could account for the perceived difference in power. My SG feels faster than my Ultra and they are modded the same, Ultra just has more "stuff" to lug aroound.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:52 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
well, a night train is the softail frame - and a different motor!

the softail bikes use the "B" motor, which has balancing shafts to quell vibrations- but those shafts are a parasitic power drain

the touring bikes use the "A" motor, which uses a rubber mounting system - the entire motor and tranny are on rubber "donuts".

these may be worn on an older bike.

BUT the touring motor does bob and weave at idle speeds- um, it's "part of the charm"- smooths out at higher revs.

do the stage 1 then see how it runs, the process of doing the stage 1 may cure any air leaks etc.

Mike
Good answer Mike. I went from 10 years on a Deuce with the 88b engine. When I first sat on my RK I though it was getting ready to stall from all the vibes. I understood the difference between the the "B" and rubber mounted systems but never experienced it until then. Since then I have come to enjoy the overall package as part of the "charm" as you put it!

"Good, good, good.... good vibrations!"

Quick Reply: Total newbie questions.....