Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 Jacket??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Glen1978
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 Jacket??

Gona be headed to Sturgis from Texas and its gona be a HOT ride. The only options I have are long sleeved T to keep the sun off, long sleeve T soaked in water under my leather jacket with the vents open OR buy a new mesh jacket with the same wet shirt under it. Really looking at the Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 jacket. Read some good reviews on it and found it for $143 shipped. Anybody in here wearing that jacket and if so how do you like it? Thanks.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:39 PM
Harlay Hawk
Advanced

I have one and love it, look up http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
all new stuff just last year overstock. you can get it at sometimes half price.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:41 PM
madmustang4
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

sorry I dont have a direct reply on the JR.
I have skin cancer probs, so I have to cover arms and face as much as possible.

I went with the Harley
Men's Ride Ready Mesh Jacket
PN 98304-10VM
MSRP US $99.00

It does a pretty decent job of flowing air to your arms and body.
Decent at keeping you cool and does a great job of keeping the sun off arms. hope this helps

Old 07-22-2012, 06:56 PM
Glen1978
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Harlay Hawk
I have one and love it, look up http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
all new stuff just last year overstock. you can get it at sometimes half price.
Yeah thats where I found it for $143 shipped. Cheapest place I could find it.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:44 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I've a joe rocket, well made and with armor
keep forgetting it, but use heavy sunscreen

have to remember to use it

Old 07-22-2012, 08:15 PM
Guitar4Him
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0. It was a great jacket. A year ago, I got my blue Ultra Classic. The bright red jacket just didn't look right....I know...I know. I got my wife and I black Firstgear Rush Mesh jackets. They're pretty much equal to the JR jacket. I think the air flow was maybe a little better on the JR.

When you're moving, these jackets flow a lot of air and you stay relatively cool. The do keep you from direct contact with the sun and this helps with the cooling effect. Sitting at a stoplight is another deal altogether. It's a hot situation then. Of course...sitting at a stoplight in a T-shirt isn't exactly cool when it's in the 90's. One trick that really works is to wet my T-shirt before putting the mesh jacket on. As soon as you start moving, it's like air conditioning.

A couple of comments....

At 59, I am starting to experience the effects of a lifetime of exposure to the sun. A couple of months ago, I had to have a skin cancer removed ...thankfully, not melanoma but still something that had to be surgically removed. My dermatologist has warned me to be careful about sun exposure. I hate wearing sun screen. With the mesh jacket and a pair of mesh fingerless gloves, I don't have to worry about sun exposure.

Two years ago, I experienced my only accident in 26 years of riding. I did a low-side at about 30 mph and got some road-rash on my upper and lower right arm. I had a T-shirt on at the time. I'm convinced that, if I had been wearing either the JR or the Firstgear mesh jacket I would not have gotten any road rash. Now, my wife and I do not ride without the mesh jackets or leathers, if it's the cool or cold time of the year.

BTW...we also wear Shoei RF1100 helmets.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:34 PM
ericl
Road Warrior
Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I just made a quick ride up and ride back 28 hours total to visit my grand kids, I live in Port Arthur they live In prosper north of Dallas 600 plus miles round trip, went 287 and 19 on the way up, yesterday morning did 45 back home both days I started out at 11 am, heat of the day. What works for me is an under armor t shirt and a Colombia or Magellan long sleeved fishing shirt, Biggest issue is staying hydrated, big bottle of Gatorade and water every time I stopped. My next long ride in the summer I will consider a camel pak.

Enjoy the trip, don't fall over the edge riding the needles

Old 07-22-2012, 08:37 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

I have the Joe Rocket 5.0 and it works great. The air flow keeps you (relatively) cool in the heat and you are protected. You can always go with a (white) long sleeve shirt underneath the jacket to keep protected from the sun. I recently rode through the desert from Baker (CA) to St. George (UT) in 110 degree weather and that setup worked good. SJ Ron

Old 07-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Glen1978
Road Captain

Thanks, thats the kinda reply I was looking for.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:54 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,315 Likes on 1,866 Posts

I normally ride with just a T-shirt and perhaps a leather vest but with the temps we've been having leather (any style) is out of the question.

I broke down and bought a H-D ($110) mesh jacket.
It works for me when moving but as someone has already pointed out, standing still starts to get a little uncomfortable after a few minutes.

I'm planning a trip to Myrtle Beach in August so I'll know after that if I made a good investment or not.

I'm also looking for a new 3/4 or modular helmet that has great ventilation.
I like to use my CB on trips and/or listen to the radio and with a half shell that isn't going to happen.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Joe Rocket Phoenix 5.0 Jacket??