Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No spots !

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 03:06 PM
o6 fl animal
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spots !

what is the best cleaner to use so you don't get water spots on tank , fairing , chrome etc ? i'm not one to sit and polish all day, i would rather ride 1

Old 07-22-2012, 03:51 PM
BigGelvis
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No such thing as a cleaner that does not leave spots. Spots are from the water. Unless you are rinsinig the bike with filtered water (very doubtfull), then the best you can do is invest in a good leaf blower and make sure you blow all the water off before it can dry.

Here is what I have always done on all my rides and it works great.
Wash the bike in sections. Once you get one section washed, rinse it and move on to the next section. The whole time you do this, you need to keep the parts you cleaned already, wet by continuously spraying the whole bike every time you rinse off a section.
Once the entire bike is clean and still wet, fire up the blower and start blowing the water off starting from the top down. Keep walking around the bike and blow until there is no more water to blow.

This how I do it and I usually don't have to polish anything! I then let it sit a good hour or two to let any hidden water to evaporate or it will run down the bike when you ride. It usually takes me about 30 - 45 minutes to clean the bike.

This is good enough for every day riding but if you want that "Car Show" clean and shine, you still need to polish every now and then. Nothing like polished chrome to make that bike POP!

Old 07-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Grizcat68
Advanced

If the bike is not very dirty I just use a little diluted windex to clean the bugs off, then wipe on Turtle Wax Ice and then wipe it off. Looks ready for show! This is on the paint and the chrome. I like simple

Old 07-22-2012, 04:54 PM
bobgv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use very warm water and a micro fiber towel to get rid of the bugs. Then use Original Bike Spirits spray [formely known as Honda Polish] or Turtle wax Ice but imo Bike spirts works the best for polishing.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:59 PM
14longshot
Advanced

Wash the hole bike with soap and water and hose then windex everything

Old 07-22-2012, 05:05 PM
EC Rider
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

First the bugs come off using Bugs Be Gone by Sea Foam. Then I use Wizards Mist N Shine on the entire bike. I do this after every ride, takes about 15 minutes. That is usually all I need to do to keep her looking good!

If I happen to get caught in the rain or if I feel it's time to give it a good scrub down, I use Wizards car wash soap followed by the leaf blower treatment! I then give it a coat of wax with Turtle Wax Ice. Once a month or so it just has to be polished up real good! I've spent more than 2 hours doing this...

Old 07-22-2012, 06:02 PM
frankharley07
Cruiser

Don't use a nozel at the end of the hose. Just let the water "flow" out and it will run off like water on a duck.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:55 PM
Deadmaninc6666
Intermediate

I learned this the hard way. NEVER wash the bike in direct sunlight! Leaves nasty water spots that take forever to get off!

Old 07-22-2012, 07:22 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,442 Likes on 8,420 Posts

Dry it off with a leaf blower. Nuff said.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:30 PM
HTNHARD
Tourer

Originally Posted by bobgv
Use very warm water and a micro fiber towel to get rid of the bugs. Then use Original Bike Spirits spray [formely known as Honda Polish] or Turtle wax Ice but imo Bike spirts works the best for polishing.
+ a billion. Use warm water on a micro fiber. Do the tins first then crash bar, engine footboard etc.. Then wax. Or if you have all the time in the world, use ultimate compund, polish, ultimate wax on your buffer. I'll be doing these steps this coming week before the bike trip to Poopy's! Yea!

Quick Reply: No spots !