Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide fairing on a Road King

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 09:48 AM
kq2dc7
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Road Glide fairing on a Road King

I purchased a new 2012 RK and got a great deal and never even looked at the other touring models. After the purchase I rode a Road Glide and really liked it.

This morning I came accross a 2010 Road Glide fairing inner and outer at what seems to be a reasonable price. How hard would the installation be? Would I be able to get complete use of the guages and other electronics?

Old 07-22-2012, 10:16 AM
SE120RG
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I put a RG fairing on my 07 RK, I did not attempt the gauges due to the required wiring harness that made it more complicated than I was willing to go through. I purchased the inner and outer fairings on ebay and then purchased all the mounting brackets, headlight, turn signals and all the other required hardware from the dealer. Cost me about 1500 plus paint. I covered the holes for the gauges. Liked it so much the next year I bought my Road Glide.

If I were to do it over again I would have put that money towards the purchase of the Road Glide

The following users liked this post:
Adirondack Bob (03-31-2022)
Old 07-22-2012, 10:19 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

I think it would be cheaper to bite the bullet and trade for a Road Glide.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:49 AM
asheborogn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
I think it would be cheaper to bite the bullet and trade for a Road Glide.
agreed.. too much time and trouble for a new bike...

cheaper to pay the difference for a road glide and maybe an even trade for a used roadglide (2009-2011) at your local or nearby Harley Dealer.. Keep us posted..

Old 07-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

All The touring bikes with the exception of the Road King have the same main harness. Depending on which Glide, accessory harnesses are added to connect the extras the bike is equipped with.

The Road King has its own wiring harness; it does not have the accessory plugs the Glide harnesses have.

So, if you wanted to install the fairing you have four choices.

1. Trade the bike for a Road Glide.

2. Install the Glide Harness and all the Parts and pieces to hook it up.

3. Service Manual wiring harness diagram and wire it up your self.

4. Use the fairing for a stereo holder and wind deflector and don't use the gauges, Good hole for extra speakers.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:30 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

i converted my 04 road king into a road glide. I have two of the four guages working, filled the other two hole with tweeters. Oil pressure and oil temp. I kept the road king tank, which i had already installed the flush mounted gas cap and gas guage, so it has the same profile as the 12 CVO. So it can be done. The oil pressure is simple, the headlight is simple. The radio you are going to run a wire to the battery anyway you do it and the connections for power are in the road king nachelle and are already there. The rest of the wiring is easy. I even have the speedo and tach working using the road king harness. My total cost of conversion was approx $750. I purchased the inner and outer fairing on ebay. My bike was black so no need to paint. Just bought a black one. Gauges were an ebay item as well, wiring was autozone/radio shack and radio came from cruchfield as well as the speakers. I still use my key switch on the road king and have not installed the road glide switch, but recently bought one on ebay cheap.

my king glide is a fully functioning road glide and rides like a dream. Now, to some it may be something they dont want to do, but i have a lot of $$$ in my road king prior to conversion and just wanted something different without trading. Once i change the switch out, no one but me will ever know its not a road glide and if i ever have a wiring problem, i will change out the harness at that time.

the only drawback, the dealer pretty much will not work on any electrical problems. He will do anything else, but say the electrical is mine.

The following users liked this post:
pdbuzz (04-25-2017)
Old 07-22-2012, 12:53 PM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sinister is coming out with a rk to rg conversion ie no guage holes just speakers radio

Old 07-22-2012, 07:35 PM
kq2dc7
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that I'm going to go with the sell or trade and go with the new or barely used Road Glide. I really like the new frame and the 103 so I guess it will be a get the checkbook out expierence again.

100 miles with the windshield off today and I'm convinced that I bought the wrong bike. I guess the thread needs to change to when is the best time to trade for new. Keep in mind the 12 RK already has 8000 miles on it.

Old 05-31-2021, 12:11 AM
Anthonyv223
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you send me links to conversion

Originally Posted by bigskyroadglide
i converted my 04 road king into a road glide. I have two of the four guages working, filled the other two hole with tweeters. Oil pressure and oil temp. I kept the road king tank, which i had already installed the flush mounted gas cap and gas guage, so it has the same profile as the 12 CVO. So it can be done. The oil pressure is simple, the headlight is simple. The radio you are going to run a wire to the battery anyway you do it and the connections for power are in the road king nachelle and are already there. The rest of the wiring is easy. I even have the speedo and tach working using the road king harness. My total cost of conversion was approx $750. I purchased the inner and outer fairing on ebay. My bike was black so no need to paint. Just bought a black one. Gauges were an ebay item as well, wiring was autozone/radio shack and radio came from cruchfield as well as the speakers. I still use my key switch on the road king and have not installed the road glide switch, but recently bought one on ebay cheap.

my king glide is a fully functioning road glide and rides like a dream. Now, to some it may be something they dont want to do, but i have a lot of $$$ in my road king prior to conversion and just wanted something different without trading. Once i change the switch out, no one but me will ever know its not a road glide and if i ever have a wiring problem, i will change out the harness at that time.

the only drawback, the dealer pretty much will not work on any electrical problems. He will do anything else, but say the electrical is mine.

hello I have an 02 RK and wanting to convert on the cheap as well 750 total sounds like exactly what I'm trying to do can you send me the purchase links you used to convert please and thanks.

Old 05-31-2021, 02:23 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,604 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthonyv223
hello I have an 02 RK and wanting to convert on the cheap as well 750 total sounds like exactly what I'm trying to do can you send me the purchase links you used to convert please and thanks.
Well, this is a 9 year old thread, and his last activity was three years ago.

Good luck and welcome to HD Forums.

Quick Reply: Road Glide fairing on a Road King