Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Used '05 Road King - have Dealer Check It Over???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 09:20 PM
lewgar_FLHRSI
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Used '05 Road King - have Dealer Check It Over???

So I am getting a used '05 Road King with a few upgrades (pipes, tuner, etc...). It has 5,400 miles on it and 5K service was never done. Was thinking of having the dealer do a full look over the bike after I bought it just to let me know what else might be an issue when I take it in for the 5K service. I know the guy I am buying it from (play golf and hang out with him for the past 4-5 years), so I am not worried that he is trying to offload his problems onto me.

This is my first street bike, but not new to ATV/Dirt bike world, so I worked on a few things here and there but no expert. I can see it needs a new rear tire already, no big deal there.

Is there such a service the HD dealer will offer, a full once over on the bike? What would be the cost to this service? Will be getting it serviced at this dealer for things other than the oil change, but then again if I am lazy maybe oil changes as well.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:17 PM
mtn-glide
Intermediate

Get the service manual. It will show you everything you need to know about the bike. Is the same manual the techs use when they work on it. Paper versions are around $60 but you can find download versions for $10 online.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:59 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 647 Posts

Just guessing:
Do not know your location but yes dealer can do it.
They will talk to you and offer a 5,000 mile service and maybe some plus items later suggested by phone..
It will be a check/ inspect plus oil change-out and then whatever is suggested over the phone after you drop bike off. Expect them to suggest another $50 to $100 in service at absolute minimum.
Cost: probably $300 to $350 for service plus about another $300-$350 for the tire service plus the dealer soap fee of about 10% and tax....a look over only would probably be about 1.5 hours and that brings you back to the service cost anyways...but just guessing.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:17 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,276 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Being that the bike is an '05 model year, chances are the tires (tubes and rub strips) were made in '04 so all need to be replaced due to age.
I'm assuming that the orignial battery has been replaced?

If I was buying the bike (from a good friend) I would just have the service done and go from there.

I may be worth asking the dealer what the difference in cost is between the 5,000 mile service and the 10,000 mile service.
My dealer pulls both wheels on a 10,000 mile service (which may save you a few bucks (on the tire service) and you may get more for your buck in the services they perform.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:40 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get the 5K service and ride it.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:22 AM
Big E1
Tourer

The service will cost between 300 and 400. The bike will get a good once over with the service. Great bike good luck.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:38 AM
2upto18wheels
Intermediate

Lewgar, I bought a used 2009 FLHTCU last weekend in a private sale. It had 38,000 kms on it. I took it to a shop where the guy only works on HD'S. He usued to own the dealership with his brother. Anyways, he did a full inspection and found a half dozen small things which he corrected. Also put in a new set of plugs and charged me $97.00 For me, it gave me peace of mind that everything was OK with the bike. Ride safe and enjoy your new ride.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:42 AM
lewgar_FLHRSI
Novice

Thanks for all the replies, they confirmed my gut feeling, get the 5K from the dealer and have them check it over. From reading the forums, I am expecting them to find a few other items wrong, most likely small to get a few extra bucks, so I will have to evaluate those as they come up. I rather have the piece of mind for the first couple services buy the service manual.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:46 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Or...instead of HD service...find a good indy & pay a little less for the 5K svs./inspection. Your call - good luck & enjoy that new-to-you scoot!

Old 07-22-2012, 06:56 AM
CWO USN
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since your planned purchased is not based on a pre-purchase inspection, suggest you take up one of the comment about using an independent repair facility to conduct the required maintenance, and PPI. PPI in private sales is a good idea. The buyer not only is made aware of issues but the resulting PPI is used to leverage on the final purchase price. BTW, develop a good relationship with an indy and have them maintain/repair the bike from there on in. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Quick Reply: Buying Used '05 Road King - have Dealer Check It Over???