Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmon Kardon radio software update.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012 | 10:21 PM
harleybill2008
|
Road Captain
Default Harmon Kardon radio software update.

I just went through the install and since I haven't seen this on post (at least not easily found) I thought I would put this out in case somebody has no knowledge of the need or procedure. The first step is to download the software updates from: http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...io-system.html . I created 2 folders on my desktop and labeled them as needed. I then downloaded, uncompressed the files into the folders and then burned the files to cd. Now the first time I tried this I used windows burn (windows 7) and no matter how many times I put the cd in the radio nothing happened. It just came up verfying the file. I then changed brands of CD thinking that I had a bad batch. That didn't work either. Next I used burning software to create basic data disks and then stuck the cd in the radio and BAM, it started the updates. You will see immediate info on the screen when you get the cd inside and it begins to run. With the bad disk (ones burned apparently in the wrong format) I waited 20 minutes before I gave up. It's a pretty easy procedure and I believe it is for those that have not updated their radios prior to the 2011 models. The second update is something for the IPOD so the updates usually fix problems so I would recommend doing this to maybe fix a problem or at least hopefully keep it running smoothly.

Old 07-21-2012 | 02:52 AM
StreetGeezer
Tourer

What software did you use? IMGBurn or something like that?

Old 07-21-2012 | 03:26 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

Thanks! I've got it ready to burn to CD, we'll see how it goes..

Old 07-21-2012 | 05:38 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

If that is the same software update that has been out for a couple years you should know that it has caused problems with some radios and the update had to be reversed. Unless there was a problem, I don't know of anyone who has notice any difference between before and after the update. You might want to consider not doing it. If you do, it will must likely be okay, just a heads up to the possibilities.

Old 07-21-2012 | 06:10 AM
bissjim
Cruiser
Smile Burn Speed

The trick is to not burn the CD faster then 4X if you do the files will not burn correctly. You can control the burn speed in most CD burning software.

Old 07-21-2012 | 09:05 AM
harleybill2008
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by StreetGeezer
What software did you use? IMGBurn or something like that?
I used cyberlink dvd suite that came with the HP machine. I'm thinking that IMGburn or just about any other burn software would probably work and keeping it down to a slow speed burn is also a good idea as was mentioned. I know that speed used to be an issue on burning so it may still be even on a win7 unit.

Old 07-21-2012 | 09:17 AM
harleybill2008
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jjnoble
If that is the same software update that has been out for a couple years you should know that it has caused problems with some radios and the update had to be reversed. Unless there was a problem, I don't know of anyone who has notice any difference between before and after the update. You might want to consider not doing it. If you do, it will must likely be okay, just a heads up to the possibilities.
I looked around the net for any problems with the software and I couldn't find anything that the updates actually caused problems. People had problems with the technology but that was all I could find. My software was version 8.19 on both of the settings and my new settings went up to v25 on the one and still v19 on the secondary one. The software sheet/instructions also talk about if you have a 2011 bike that you probably don't need the updates so I would hope that if there was a problem years back that it was probably a different version. At least so far I have had no problems and the install went very smooth. Can I guarantee nothing will happen...Nobody can when it comes to software upgrades but odds are nothing will.

Old 07-21-2012 | 09:34 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by harleybill2008
I looked around the net for any problems with the software and I couldn't find anything that the updates actually caused problems. People had problems with the technology but that was all I could find. My software was version 8.19 on both of the settings and my new settings went up to v25 on the one and still v19 on the secondary one. The software sheet/instructions also talk about if you have a 2011 bike that you probably don't need the updates so I would hope that if there was a problem years back that it was probably a different version. At least so far I have had no problems and the install went very smooth. Can I guarantee nothing will happen...Nobody can when it comes to software upgrades but odds are nothing will.
where you having problems with your HC?
I see you have an 08 like myself, mine has been trouble free, so Iam a little leary of "updating" something that works fine........lol

Old 07-21-2012 | 10:12 AM
Cotton Hill
Road Warrior

I also have an 2008 with no problems. What does the update do for the radio?

Old 07-21-2012 | 10:43 AM
Fire1Tex
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cotton Hill
I also have an 2008 with no problems. What does the update do for the radio?
I work in a computer tech heavy field and it's my experience that the old adage applies here: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. That being said, this feature allows the system to keep up with technology and fixes code or software bugs without needing to replace the whole unit.

This is a update for the HK, much like a firmware update you might see for your Blue Ray player or Satellite Receiver or similar to a driver update you might need for your PC like a video card.

To the OP, good info, thanks.

If your curious and want to check your system...

From the Install instructions:
STEP 1: Check Your Current Radio Software Version Number
Check your current software version just to make sure that your radio software does need to be updated.
1. Turn your radio on and select FM mode.
2. Press soft keys 1, 3 and OK simultaneously.
3. Press Arrow Down key once until you see the screen as represented in Figure 2.
4. Press soft key 3, labeled “P & A”.
5. Press soft key 4, labeled “Versions”.
6. Using the down arrow key, scroll until you see iPod software version displayed.
7. If 3.8.0 software is displayed, you DO NOT need to proceed with the software update.
8. Press soft key 6 to “Exit”.

Quick Reply: Harmon Kardon radio software update.