Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake piston

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Napalm Dog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake piston

I am telling you,every 30 minute job I do turns into a fiasco.All I wanted to do is change my front brake pads on my '08 Electra Glide Standard.the first side I did,one of the pistons wouldnt go back in to make room for the new pads.So I had to split the caliper,All my fluid drained out.No surprise there.I tried a C clamp first to get the piston back in,it wouldn't budge.I actually bent the T-handle on the clamp.So I put the rubber side of a hammer on the piston with the caliper on the bench It took allot of pressure to get it to go back.But it finally went back in.And as usual I am out of brake fluid so I have to wait until tomarrow for the HD shop to open.Do any of you think this piston is going to keep giving me trouble?Maybe I should pop it out completely and clean it really good.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:39 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Might as well you have it down that far already. You can buy brake fluid at any auto parts store just read the cap on your master cylinder so you get the right dot fluid.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:44 PM
tazzzman
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would clean it with brake cleaner and lightly rub with emery cloth to take out any abrassions. Also, check the o-ring while your there. Good luck

Old 07-20-2012, 02:38 AM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try fine steel wool instead of any abrasive. You can polish aluminum and avoid the risk of leaving abrasive grains caught in the material. DOT4 brake fluid is used on recent bikes.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:11 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Napalm Dog
I am telling you,every 30 minute job I do turns into a fiasco.All I wanted to do is change my front brake pads on my '08 Electra Glide Standard.the first side I did,one of the pistons wouldnt go back in to make room for the new pads.So I had to split the caliper,All my fluid drained out.No surprise there.I tried a C clamp first to get the piston back in,it wouldn't budge.I actually bent the T-handle on the clamp.So I put the rubber side of a hammer on the piston with the caliper on the bench It took allot of pressure to get it to go back.But it finally went back in.And as usual I am out of brake fluid so I have to wait until tomarrow for the HD shop to open.Do any of you think this piston is going to keep giving me trouble?Maybe I should pop it out completely and clean it really good.
Bent a C clamp, you may have some seroius issues

Old 07-20-2012, 07:15 AM
hdfat2001
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Pistons shouldn't need that kind of power to seat 'em back in the bores. Personally, I would pull 'em apart completely check the pistons and the bores for any damage and rebuild it as needed. No way I'd be polishing the piston and taking the chance.