Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifter linkage

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012 | 07:37 AM
Tilt96
Novice

I was searching for this topic yesterday to no luck since it's starting to drive me crazy. Thanks for all the info.

Old 07-20-2012 | 07:42 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dickey
Get louder pipes.
and louder audio

Old 07-20-2012 | 08:03 AM
Spur56
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cncmike
I loosened the bolt that holds the front linkage arm that's behind the primary and on the same shaft as the shift levers. Then I pressed the levers and that arm towards each other and as tight to the primary as possible then tightened the bolt. This took up all of the free play on the shaft that goes through the primary. It has a rubber bushing so it doesn't hurt to be tight and it removed a lot of movement.
After the Hiem joints, this is the fix. This area always gets loose after a while from shifting. Probably should actually take the shift lever shaft apart and grease every spring and then tighten everything up. jMHO

Old 07-20-2012 | 08:20 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by dickey
Get louder pipes.

Yeah, I've never heard my linkage rattling. wow!

Old 07-20-2012 | 08:22 AM
sargek
Road Warrior

Replaced the crap linkage with one with heim joints - this stopped the linkage rattle itself, but the bushings in the inner primary are also shot so the pivot shaft itself rattles as well. Doesn't seem to be any way to replace the bushings so I drilled and inserted a zerk in the inner primary to grease the shaft more easily. No more rattle

Old 07-20-2012 | 08:57 AM
Batman7349
Cruiser

Mine never rattled until last week when I took the heel shifter off. Looks like I will do the heim joint upgrade and tighten the linkage.

Old 07-20-2012 | 09:47 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

I loosened the bolt that holds the front linkage arm that's behind the primary and on the same shaft as the shift levers. Then I pressed the levers and that arm towards each other and as tight to the primary as possible then tightened the bolt. This took up all of the free play on the shaft that goes through the primary. It has a rubber bushing so it doesn't hurt to be tight and it removed a lot of movement.
That's what I did also, check that rear shifter for the infamous spline striping problem that many are reporting. Make sure the tranny shaft splines are intact then replace the allen bolt with a hex bolt and torque it nice & tight. Don't get stuck away from home and if your getting too much play with either of the shift levers that's the first place I would be focusing on.

Old 08-09-2012 | 10:11 PM
FLoTR
|
Road Master

I fixed my rattle. no heim joints or any other parts. I took advice about disassembling the front shaft to clean and grease it. In doing so, i found the inner lever bolt was not loose, but not tight either. I had overlooked the inner lever the whole time. Cleaned, greased and sounds like it 's supposed to now..... quiet. Thanks for the help.

Old 08-09-2012 | 10:57 PM
kmayHD
Road Master

I recently replaced my stock shifter with a nice chrome linkage with Heim joint ends. The main reason I replaced it was to rid my brain of the worries of the stock shifter breaking, which ive read is common, and because its a sharp looking piece. But! I was very shocked at what a difference it made, shifting feels way different, very tight, and no free play. For the 60 bucks the new linkage cost, its a win win win!!!

Old 08-10-2012 | 03:28 AM
50 below
Advanced

I just installed a billet HD "Road King" script linkage along with a Phoenix Customs heel shifter eliminator. When installing the heel shifter eliminator, I used a clamp to lightly squeeze the shifter onto the shaft before tightening the shifter lever. The rubber spacer crushes slightly making for a friction fit on the shifter shaft. No flopping, no bouncing, no rattles. Good to go!
Oh yeah, blue locktite on all threads...

Quick Reply: shifter linkage