Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 04:45 PM
02Ultra EG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Issues

Will also post in the electrical section. I have an '02 Ultra. While riding the other day the bike suddenly stopped running. No starter, no ignition lights, nothing. Pulled to the side of the rode shut the bike off and then turned the ignition back on. Still nothing. Had ridden thru some rain thought something might have gotten wet. Pulled a side cover to check fuses and found the 15 amp ignition and light fuses blown. checked as best as I could for anything that may have come loose. Found nothing. Replaced both fuses and fired up the bike. Started like normal. Idled well and lites worked. Shut off the bike and put everything back together. Started the bike again and it ran for a couple of seconds and quit again. Blown ignition fuse. Was on the side of a mountain rode and did not want to leave it where it was. Checked a couple more things. By this time the bike had cooled somewhat. Put my last 15 amp fuse in and tried again. This time I was able to ride about 2 miles before it quit. Made it to a place where I could park it and get the truck and trailer. Got it home and in the garage. Let it sit for a couple of days because of other stuff. I have a Power Commander on the bike. Thought that might be the problem. Pulled that out and fired it up. Ran for 10-12 minutes and no problem. Put the Power Commander back in, did the same thing, ran for 10 mins no problem. Got pulled away for a few days. Ran it today and after about 5-6 minutes went to crack the throttle and boom, it died again. Blown ignition fuse. I am not getting any fault lights on the speedo. Don't think it is a short. Would blow the fuse right away. Hate to take to dealer and not be able to replicate the problem. ANY THOUGHTS on where to start?

Thanks

Old 07-18-2012, 04:54 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have a pinched wire. Start with your right handlebar and make sure your wires are in the grove, loosen housing and push them in. If that doesn't work you can take housing apart and look for pinched or worn wire. Not much room in there for all those wires. Have you changed grips lately?

Old 07-18-2012, 05:16 PM
02Ultra EG
Advanced

I had replaced the front brake lite switch and thought that might be the problem. Checked it out and could not find anything. Boy could I talk about that POS design for the $64 switch that HD had made in Mexico for $3!!!

Thanks.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:21 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Short

Chances are, it's a short. Intermittent would indicate a pinched wire as has been suggested. A loose connection isn't going to blow the fuse.

It's not really likely the power commander.

You need to look real close at what has been done lately. The chances of this happening in the wiring harness are not as good as the chance that the cause is something you have done. It may not be what you have done, but that is the best place to start.

Good luck.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:30 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

I would look at a pinched wire in the housing too (since you said you worked on it), it probably wasnt an issue until the rain. My son washed his bike once and right after that he kept blowing fuses for the dash lights, after blowing about 10 fuses, he let it sit for a week in dry weather and problem solved, the rain may have got into a switch wire and has provided a path to ground.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:54 PM
scot210
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just come through an electrical issue myself. Check ground connections, clean them up, while doing that check for bare wires. My problem was a bare wire (rubbing on frame) close to the VR. Also if you have been working on the bike, re-trace your steps and double check your work and the parts that you changed if any. I had changed a circuit breaker, and the shop I bought it from gave me a 15 amp instead of 40 amp. Bike would run until breaker blew and then it would quit. Good Luck, electrical can be a pain.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:48 PM
02Ultra EG
Advanced

Well, after all the thoughts about pinched wires, I checked it out again. Got to thinking how it was shorting the ignition fuse that if it was in the handle it would have to be either the start switch or the kill switch. Took a closer look and found the 4 wires from those switches indeed had been pinched. Not to the point where the wire was showing but still a sustantial crimp. Pulled them apart and straightened out. I then covered them with some liquid tape and put it all back together. So far so good. Going to have the wife follow me around or at least stay in touch as I take a test ride. Thanks to all for the input.

Whiteymac

Old 07-24-2012, 02:27 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Well done, and fingers crossed!

Old 07-24-2012, 03:09 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

Glad you found it! Good luck!