Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dresser Duals & Dyno ????

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Sagido
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dresser Duals & Dyno ????

I own a 2009 FLHTCU which I purchased used, with 4300 miles on it. It already had Vance & Hines Touring Ovals, and the Stag 1 Air Cleaner and download. I have about 16,0000 miles on the bike now. I was offered the chance to purchase a set of V&H Dresser Duals in perfect condition for $200. If I install these headpipes do I have to install the Harley Race Tuner, and have it Dyno'd?? Everything at the dealerships seems to be some kind of racket to get you back in the shop at $66 to $$78 an hour. I have a local V-Twin mechanic that will do anything, brakes, tire mounts/balance, inspections, fluid changes, for $40 an hour. I love the bike, would like to get better than 38-40 mpg. Any suggestions??

Old 07-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The HD download is known to have a lean AFR so your set up was boderline to begin with. I think adding true duals will lean it out a little more due to better scavaging of the exhaust gasses. Common opinion is that any EFI controller with a proper tune, is superior to the HD download, provides power gains, reduces heat & often gives a minor increase in MPG.

Many here have used FuelMoto for a Power Commander thats shipped w/ a pre loaded map for your specific set up.

Im of the school that says nothing beats a real time Dyno tune regardless as to what EFI tuner you run.

Talk to your Indy shop & see what he can do for you.

Info: Labor charges at some HD shops are approaching $100.00 an hour & some Indys are at 85.00. So your labor costs are below what many pay.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:04 PM
fjoh
Tourer
Received 72 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a 2010 FLHX.
When I bought it new, I had the stage one (AC &slip on along with download). I later installed a V&H dresser duals and rinehart 3.5" slip ons. I rode it around for about a year without any tuner.
I thought I ran ok. (no popping etc...).
Then I stepped up n gote a power vision with a canned map.
Didn't notice any change...
After I began to learn about tuning, there are just soooooo many parameters you can adjust and to be honest, it wouldve been a full time job for me to learn all of it! Then I found a timer locally that I can fully trust and had him dyno tune my bike.
I was a bit hesitant to dish out chunk of money, but im glad I did. Now I know my bike is tuned propery, by a pro who knows about tuning. My bike is running great (feels peppier, slightly better mpg).
After all, I bought my bike to ride!
Now I don't worry if it's tuned right anymore. I just RIDE and enjoy my bike!

Old 07-18-2012, 01:17 PM
davidsdad
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2011 Road King that I installed a Screaming Eagle air cleaner assembly, V&H slipons, H-D download.
Later I installed the Dresser Duals and contacted Night Rider and purchased the "FL-Vieds" (about $119.00) My bike runs great and cooler.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Sagido
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley Dealer Response

Below is a copy of the response I got from one of the Harley Dealers in my area:

Joe,
V&H Dresser duals are for looks only you will have less power and a big dip in fuel curve between 2000-3000. I dont think you will be happy with the way your bike runs with this system. The o2 sensor will adjust for most slip on mufflers. But a complete system is most times more than it can adjust for.
Thanks Bruce Croneberger

Old 07-19-2012, 06:44 AM
davidsdad
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Sagido
Below is a copy of the response I got from one of the Harley Dealers in my area:

Joe,
V&H Dresser duals are for looks only you will have less power and a big dip in fuel curve between 2000-3000. I dont think you will be happy with the way your bike runs with this system. The o2 sensor will adjust for most slip on mufflers. But a complete system is most times more than it can adjust for.
Thanks Bruce Croneberger
Dresser Duals make more power on top end then the stock head pipes, they aren't just for looks!!

Old 07-19-2012, 06:59 AM
alaskanadams
Advanced

With that set up I would think about a vance and hines fuelpak. You're bike will run great.............later..........mark

Old 07-19-2012, 07:46 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Adding to what Fast Aire said, we can tune our bikes to one of two conditions. A stock bike comes with air/fuel ratios set to meet EPA emissions regulations, which are what gives us the infamous hot running. Changing the exhaust and adjusting air/fuel back to EPA will give a bike that may run better than before, but will still run hot.

The alternative is to add a tuner that will permit optimum air/fuel ratios to be used. This will give yet better improvements in running as well as cure the hot running. The bike will however no longer meet EPA regulations. It will probably be necessary to ditch the catalytic converter to do this.