Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more online discount on parts??

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:02 PM
asnowmobiler
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation No more online discount on parts??

I just had a talk with the parts manager and sales manager( not at the same time ) last week about getting a discount on parts. They both told me that Harley sent out a letter recently stating that Dealers have to stop selling and shipping parts at a discounted price and can't sell to Indy's out of there area at a discounted price or they risk punishment.
Sounds like BS to me but I do have a good relationship with both of them and find it hard to believe they would lie to me.

That being said, I did get 15% off a Street Stalker fender and mount kit.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:05 PM
HDnoob
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's true. I work part time for a local Indy and the dealership he was buying everything at shut him off. They want him to pay full price for everything, plus sales tax. In other words, Harley wants all the money.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:47 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Well ... based on this, I just looked at LSHD1 and Surdyke ...

There was a check box to certify that the buyer was going to personally use the items purchased ... so, I guess that would preclude an Indy from buying and reselling ...

But, the discounted prices online did not appear to be any different ... unless they are being phased out ...

Old 07-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you saying that HD does not give indys jobber prices like auto companies do to their indys?

Old 07-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Coolhawg6622
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My dealer gives me 20% off whenever i walk in the door.....pickex up new black bars todays as a matter of fact....

Old 07-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Just got 20% off from Hales HD....

Old 07-17-2012, 08:06 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

old news. they are not completely doing away with online discounts, but the dealer can not advertise that discount. and yes, no selling to indies for resale, and no selling overseas.

but as an individual, living in the us, you still have several options to get parts at discount.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:46 PM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got 22% off MSRP on the order I just placed with NCHD...

Old 07-17-2012, 08:47 PM
rare100thHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can shed some light on this as I am the Owner of a small indy shop.
This all started Aug 1st 2011.
The new Rule states that only the Closest Local HD Dealer has the right to sell at wholesale to a Indy Shop for there service dept needs. Several reasons are for this. One is, small HD dealers who were suffering the economy crunch, the last few years complained to the MoCo. Because most of the Indy's around them bought, out of State, were they could bargain and get a much better wholesale price, because they were not competing for service and parts with a nearby HD Dealer. A Indy's nearby dealer is never going to give a him a great deal, because you are his Competition. So therefore, we Indy's know to get out of State or at least 150 miles away to get the best deals on Original HD parts.
Best deal I ever received until last August was Cost plus 15 percent and "free shipping" if each sale was over 250. The local dealer would NEVER come close to this, and even asking them just Pi**ed them off. The other issue was all the ebay stores selling Genuine parts at a Discount. Then there was the Selling out of the USA. Which really stepped on the toes of the MoCo because of the OverSeas and Canadian Pricing from their Dealers. HD's pricing out of the USA is quite higher and all these Internet and Ebay stores were shipping at a Discount out of the Country. This was actually the Biggest issue that brought alot of this on!

Last edited by rare100thHD; 07-17-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:01 PM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Just ordered SE Premium Tapered pushrods (18404-08) from Lake Shore today. $148 shipped....they didn't ask anything...no sales tax, more convenient, quicker shipping, cheaper price.

If my local dealership would sell them for $131.....and stocked them, or at least ordered them right away, so I could have them in 5 days......maybe I would buy from them more often.

Quick Reply: No more online discount on parts??