Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A real slimy feeling from LI NY dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 08:32 PM
katoomofdoom
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A real slimy feeling from LI NY dealer

Stopped into a dealer on Long Island today and checked out their 06 models. They had 3 Street Glides on the floor, and I inquired on the price. Another dealer had quoted MSRP + $750 for freight and prep - the best that can be expected I guess.

I mentioned this to this dealer/aquatic landmark, and then inquired about his price. He said that because the Street Glide was a new model, they didn't really know what they were going to sell it for, and he would have to get back to me tomorrow. I mentioned that if he matched the offer of the other dealer, I'd buy the bike - just to see what he said. He told me that the price seemed "off", like "someone farted in church", and that he'd have to get back to me. I asked him what his price would be if he couldn't match it, and he wouldn't give me a quote.

Now maybe some folks out there will think that there was nothing wrong with how the dealer played this. But for my money - a product should have a price. We all know what the MSRP is on these bikes, what freight is. It is not 2003 anymore, these aren't anniverary bikes with special paint. When I shopped for an 03, a salesman told me that all the NY dealers met in Vegas and agreed to charge a certain # over MSRP for the anniversary paint - which is against Federal Trade laws. Sure enough, all the dealers were charging exactly the same money over MSRP for those bikes in my area - coincidence?

I've owned Italian, Jap, German, and Austrian bikes, all bought new. I've never had anything like the continually bad purchasing experiences with those bikes that I have had with HD. I really wish that I didn't have to get jerked around for the privilege of riding HD. The days of people thinking that HDs are hard to get, and justify a premium, are OVER. There's no way I will buy the bike from this dealer, no matter what his price ends up being.

I am still in amazement that the dealer could not give me ANY price. One of these days, the FTC is going to look into HD price fixing, and people are going to end up in jail.

OK, enough of my rant - I'm sure everyone will tell me great stories about their local (non NY) dealers!

Old 08-04-2005, 08:46 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts
Default RE: A real slimy feeling from LI NY dealer

Someone has to take notice. All I hear is that people love their bike, but hate the dealers.

I think it's time to buy a dealership, and treat customers with respect.

Years ago when we had a retail business, all departments would give reception a list of what deliveries were being made that day, what was in production and expected delivery date. this stopped all of the transferring of calls, the agravating waiting time for an answer, and the customers felt good, because they got an answer right away, even if it wasn't what they wanted to hear, but the truth. Why can't all dealers do this. As far as the sales staff not knowing prices, that's criminal, the dealership owner has already put up his money for the bike, and does not make any till it's sold. I would fire the sales manager instantly if it was my shop.

Old 08-04-2005, 09:32 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

I have predicted that this model is going to be big, and I'm betting that the dealers are thinking so too. Sounds like this guy is going to try to get what ever the market will allow, and he's feeling his was around to see what that might be. It's dealers like this that I would love to see go belly up, and as the demand for HD gets less, and it will, maybe they will.

I'm not much for gov't intervention on anything, but it would be nice if Corporate Headquarters woke up to how slimey this practice is and policed the dealers a little better.

Regards,

Bill

Old 08-04-2005, 10:15 PM
katoomofdoom
Advanced

i dunno, i think this behavior is encouraged by the Moco. They're cutting production to increase demand, i.e. prices.

If the guy actually told me hey, i'll sell it to you for X, then I wouldn't be so pissed. This is a nice bike, and unfortunately I want a blue one, which HD must know is the best color, because everyone has black cherry and black pearl, but almost no one has the cobalt bikes.

hey, they're in business to make money, and around here at least, ethics don't factor into the equation at some dealers.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:01 AM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

I hate this crap also but don't car dealers do the same thing when a hot model is in limited supply - Don't get me wrong I am not sticking up for anyone but free market is just that - Free and it doesn't say Manfacturers List Price - It says suggested - I say hold out and don't pay over list - I have seen the bike and I love it but not over list price -

Old 08-05-2005, 12:11 AM
katoomofdoom
Advanced

like i said, if he gave me the price, i'd at least be able to say yes or no. but to say, this model is new and we haven't decided how to price it yet, is slimy.

anyway - there are people that paid 6 grand over msrp for VRods when they first came out. not me.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:44 AM
MULESKINNER
Advanced

Reminds me of when Chrysler came out with the PT Cruiser. Some folks got ripped BAD on those. Now they sit on the lots. Never, never, never, buy an american made vehicle the first model year. For the pricing reason and that's when the bugs get wrung out. Then you end up with the "Ginny pig." That's what "TSB's" (Technical service bullitins) are for.

Twenty Years working in Ford dealership service departments taught me that!

Old 08-05-2005, 02:42 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ok so i dont want a pt cruiser?

Old 08-05-2005, 10:19 AM
SCBGR
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at my dealer the other day they had as treet glide on the floor and 2 more being put together. I asked the sales guy what it sold for and he said MSRP. I guess im lucky in that i think i have a great dealer. Hell every time i have just popped in with a service issue (Warranty or my screw ups) they have worked me in. Their prices are inline with other dealers, they came to my house 45 miles away and picked my bike up at no charge when i had a problem. It's like the guy said its a market driven luxury, nobody NEEDS a HD, and a lot of dealers know that. If you dont like the price dont pay it.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:36 AM
TuxedoCartman
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealership here in Blue Springs, MO, is 2/3 of a fantastic shop. Their parts department is fantastic, and have several times gotten me hooked up with hard to find custom stuff I've needed, sometimes at cost. Their service department is the best I've ever been to; never a single problem with anything they've done. They've also squeezed me in during some very busy days. The sales department, well....they're living like it was 10 years ago. Most bikes are 25-30% over MSRP (though, to be fair, with the sales slump they've started haggling down to something approaching reasonable.) The problem is, though, in the Kansas City area, there's only one Harley dealership out of many that sells at MSRP, and their selection (and customer service) is nil.

Oh well, next bike I buy will be somewhere scenic, so I can buy it and ride back!

Quick Reply: A real slimy feeling from LI NY dealer