Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on touring seat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 05:12 PM
RATFINK53
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Suggestions on touring seat?

Yes folks here is another thread on seats. I tried the search function but for some reason I cant figure out which question to ask!! Anyway... I have a 2012 streetglide with the stock seat but it is a little too thin to go very far. I finally got the perfect riding position so the biggest concern is that I dont want a new seat that will raise me up. I had a sundowner on my Dyna and liked it. I have put on a Mustang backrest so does anyone know if the mustang seats lift you up? Thanks.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I went at this from the other way , my stock seat was too thick and tall.
I purchased a late model electra glide "low" seat and it's working pretty well for me.

The newer low seat is on the left.

The lower seat is closer in the pic.
Very similar , but the low seat is a good inch lower than the 2009 stock seat.
The passenger area is actually higher than the stock 2009 seat.
You can see my backrest off to the right.
I had to ajust the backrest quite a bit when I changed over to the low seat.
Nice thing is that most late model bikes have the lower seat , so you could borrow one easy enough.
I got this one off ebay for $75.00 plus shipping.
I had a Mustang Ultra seat on my 2006 FLHT , and it was nice , but taller than a stock seat by a little bit.
Mick

Old 07-17-2012, 06:35 PM
mikebaby
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Corbin Classic Solo. Has a removable passenger seat, and all day comfort.

mikebaby

Old 07-17-2012, 06:55 PM
thomasbynum
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an Ultima Showdown with gel. It sits about as low as i've seen in a production seat & is way more comfortable than it looks like it would be judging by the thickness. The gel padding is nice.

http://www.ultimasaddles.com/fullbigtwin.html

Old 07-17-2012, 07:11 PM
DanDolfn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check these folks out, Russell Day Long Seats.

http://www.day-long.com/

You have to send them pictures of you and your S/O (if any) and give them your height/weight information.

They'll make the seat to your exact specifications.

I got a note with mine that it takes 500-1000 miles to break in the seat, but as soon as we sat on it, both my wife and I thought it was the most comfortable seat we'd ever sat on.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:18 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by RATFINK53
Yes folks here is another thread on seats. I tried the search function but for some reason I cant figure out which question to ask!! Anyway... I have a 2012 streetglide with the stock seat but it is a little too thin to go very far. I finally got the perfect riding position so the biggest concern is that I dont want a new seat that will raise me up. I had a sundowner on my Dyna and liked it. I have put on a Mustang backrest so does anyone know if the mustang seats lift you up? Thanks.
The "Cadilac" of seats by far is the Ultimate. It is a breathable seat that can not be matched. You can buy and try 30 days money back deal. I will tell you you will not return it. they have a tall boy, standard and reach seat. These seats are designed not waterproof, so invest in the rain covers if you ride in the rain. There is no seat or modification, or cover that comes close to these seats. They are not cheap, but the best there is.

Last edited by checkers; 07-17-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain

My wife wanted a different seat and we test drove a couple at a dealership. They actually mounted a Sundowner (As I recall) and then the Hammock. No question that the Hammock was the best.

We had ordered, and immediately returned, a saddleman. It was like a piece of plywood. Miserable. As you can see in my signature, we ended up with the HD Hammock.

I am 6' tall and can place my feet flat on the ground. We have been able to spend much more time in the saddle because of it.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:38 AM
RATFINK53
Cruiser

Thanks to everyone for your ideas. I now have several suggestions to look into.
What a great forum!!

Old 07-20-2012, 07:10 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Dumb question--If you liked the Sundowner on your Dyna, why wouldn't you go with that again? Other people's opinions as to the best seat are no where near as reliable as your butt's own experience. I had a Sundowner on my Sporty and have a Tallboy (essentially a Sundowner for people with long legs) on my RKC. Both are very comfortable for me and for my wife.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

What my wife and I found improved our comfort more than anything for long rides else is custom built Ohlins! We can now ride all day (on our traditional Corbin) and for day after day. We were surprised to find that shocks have a much greater affect than we expected.