Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tire is best?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:29 AM
dmorganroth
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tire is best?

It time for me to replace the tires on my Ultra Limited. The dealer said they recomend the stock Dunlops but I have noticed a lot of complaints on those tires. I heard Michelin was a good upgrade. Has anyone tried both brands and noticed a diffrence?

Old 07-17-2012, 09:32 AM
stormrider79
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer Dunlop but this is my opinion...

Old 07-17-2012, 10:02 AM
swamperca
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of mileage did you get?

Old 07-17-2012, 10:03 AM
dmorganroth
Novice

I got about 9000 miles from my rear tire

Old 07-17-2012, 10:05 AM
fjoh
Tourer
Received 72 Likes on 25 Posts

I put Metz ME880 on my 2010 FLHX and really happy with it.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 AM
firefightermike
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dmorganroth
It time for me to replace the tires on my Ultra Limited. The dealer said they recomend the stock Dunlops but I have noticed a lot of complaints on those tires. I heard Michelin was a good upgrade. Has anyone tried both brands and noticed a diffrence?
I got the Michelin Commander 2 on my rear. Put it on just before my trip to D.C. I've got about 4000 miles on it. I like it, I think it's smoother than the stockers. Don't know how long it will last, but I am impressed so far.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:12 AM
WanaRyd Wheels
Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

Metzeler ME 880

WanaRyd Motorcycle
1-888-926-2793

Old 07-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

If you are looking for extended wear, then Michelin is making some pretty interesting claims about the longevity of their new Commander II tires. A rear 180 will run around $170 and the front 130 will run around $130. These prices are ballpark, but pretty close.
If you can remove the wheels yourself, you can take them to any metric dealership and they will mount and balance the tires for you are a very reasonable cost.

Your 9000 on the rear sounds a little low. I have nearly 12,000 on mine and it still has thousands of miles of tread left. I always run around 40 to 42 lbs in my tires. I've found that over the years, I get better wear with the Dunlops with those pressures.

I think Metzlers are pressure sensitive to a certain degree in regard to wear, at least that was my experience with a set of 880's on an 04 Ultra. Nice tires, but you have to keep them inflated or they can go cuppy on ya.

The important thing this that you stick with a tire designed for motorcycle use. All of the above mentioned brands make great motorcycle tires.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:29 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
If you are looking for extended wear, then Michelin is making some pretty interesting claims about the longevity of their new Commander II tires. A rear 180 will run around $170 and the front 130 will run around $130. These prices are ballpark, but pretty close.
If you can remove the wheels yourself, you can take them to any metric dealership and they will mount and balance the tires for you are a very reasonable cost.

Your 9000 on the rear sounds a little low. I have nearly 12,000 on mine and it still has thousands of miles of tread left. I always run around 40 to 42 lbs in my tires. I've found that over the years, I get better wear with the Dunlops with those pressures.

I think Metzlers are pressure sensitive to a certain degree in regard to wear, at least that was my experience with a set of 880's on an 04 Ultra. Nice tires, but you have to keep them inflated or they can go cuppy on ya.

The important thing this that you stick with a tire designed for motorcycle use. All of the above mentioned brands make great motorcycle tires.
Agreed! 9000 miles is pretty low for the mileage on the Dunlops. I've had my CVO Ultra for about 3 1/2 months and have 6500 miles on it and still plenty of tread left. And correct on the Metz. I have them on my SG and I'm always checking the tire pressure. But they are good tires to run.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:44 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a Dunlop American Elite on the rear of my 09 Ultra since last year. It replaces the OEM D407 that I ditched after 11,500 miles. It had 2/32 left. So far, so good with the American Elite but it's too recent to tell if I'll get more miles than with the D407.
The Michelin Commander 2 didn't exist when I needed a rear tire last year otherwise I might have tried it.

I'm not a fan of Metzeler and Avon. I've never been able to get more than 7,000 miles out of these tires (rear) on my previous bikes.

Quick Reply: What tire is best?