Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Skid Plates???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 12:12 AM
Alykhan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Skid Plates???

Was looking for some skid plates for my 4.25" extended bags. Anyone have some good pics of what they are running and how they work? I talked to Vern at Topshop and he was GREAT to deal with. I also talked to someone at Sinister and when I asked how long there "paint savers" were, I got a response of "they are long enough". Not really the answer I was looking for! Any pics you guys have will help out.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:05 AM
Alykhan
Intermediate

Anyone???

Old 07-17-2012, 08:22 AM
bigirn
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would say the sinster set. they go on the rear of the bags . i havent purchased them yet but from my expericen thats were you usualy scuff the bags. either backing up to a curb are going into a turn to stepe . was looking hard at these as i just put a set of extended bags on a road glide. just my 2 cents

Old 07-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Alykhan
Intermediate

Thanks

Old 07-17-2012, 10:14 AM
ICIBUY
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Sinister Paint savers and the are about 3-4 inches long. They came with rivets for installation however I used bolts, and nyloc nuts so that if/when they get scuffed up I can easily take them off to sand them down and paint them. I think most of these Skid Plates/Paint savers are about the same unless you make your own... which wouldn't be very hard to do. I don't have any pics of them but you can barely see them without bending over/down to look under the rear of the bags.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:38 AM
Alykhan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ICIBUY
I have the Sinister Paint savers and the are about 3-4 inches long. They came with rivets for installation however I used bolts, and nyloc nuts so that if/when they get scuffed up I can easily take them off to sand them down and paint them. I think most of these Skid Plates/Paint savers are about the same unless you make your own... which wouldn't be very hard to do. I don't have any pics of them but you can barely see them without bending over/down to look under the rear of the bags.
The sinister paint savers wrap up around the edge correct? Already scuffed a bag about 5" from the back (going down the damn driveway) so not sure if these will be long enough.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:37 AM
ICIBUY
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They do wrap around the rear outside corner of the bag just a little. If I had my bike here I would go snap a pic for you but it is at the upholstery shop for a new seat.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:43 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I made my own i went to the big box store and bought some 1 1/2" metal strips, cut them to length and then shaped them to match the bags with a grinder then painted them!!

Old 07-20-2012, 04:39 AM
Alykhan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hockey8787
I made my own i went to the big box store and bought some 1 1/2" metal strips, cut them to length and then shaped them to match the bags with a grinder then painted them!!
Got a pic of what they look like?

Old 07-20-2012, 05:20 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The picts don’t show them very well but I made these out of some scrap diamond plate. I knew what area contacts the ground because I dropped my SG without bag guards and had the scratches to go by.

Quick Reply: Best Skid Plates???