Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please educate me on exhaust systems

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:59 AM
TwoBlue02
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Please educate me on exhaust systems

I recently bought an 02 Ultra with 30K As far as I know it is all stock. My previous bikes have been metrics. All that was required was to take of the stock pipes and bolt new ones on - both on the same side, all one piece - super easy.

I know I want to do a stage one on the bike with the main goal being addtional HP as my TC88 is smaller than my old bike and I miss the power.

Here is where I need some schooling:

I read about "true duals" - what is the stock setup and why are true duals better?

Is there a difference between exhaust and head pipe or are these two words for the same thing? What does replacing the stock system do?

It appears there are two ways to go - keep existing exhaust and add slip-ons (probably the route I will go due to cost) or add both parts new. Plus and minus of each route?

My current line of thinking based on time reading the forum is to keep existing exhaust and add VH Monster Ovals. But - I want to do the right thing long term and get the most bang for the buck.

I know the bike will need to be re-mapped. I am probably going to go with a Fuel Moto setup based on what I have read here.

thanks.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Bigiron
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are just changing mufflers on a FI bike you shouldn't need a re-map. If you later add a free-er breathing air cleaner, you will most likely need a Power Commander or like fuel controller. True duals, to me, sound better, but could cost a bit of low-end torque. Just put on the mufflers of your choice, then go from there. Check out American Custom for muffler mods.