Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new Limited, virtually no rear brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 10:47 PM
BUIZILLA
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new Limited, virtually no rear brakes?

as the title says..

now, how can this be? bike has only 29 miles

with my HEAVY pressure on the rear peddle it has little effect on the braking, some, but not much

front brakes are awesome

thoughts?

Old 07-14-2012, 11:09 PM
BugBYter
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went from an 05 to a 12 and thought the same about the rear brake.

The pedal is very hard, but if you press hard enough the antilocks will kick in. If they do, the brake is working right.

Best way I can describe it is the pedal feels "dead" with no feedback. I have over 6500 miles on mine and the pedal feels normal now

Old 07-14-2012, 11:30 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

IF you are SURE THIS IS A PROBLEM- then do not ride the bike- call the dealer and have them fix it.

you have a warranty which is valuable- use it.

mike

Old 07-14-2012, 11:51 PM
06strglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put some miles on it. It will get better

Old 07-15-2012, 12:25 AM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

Could it be that the brake pads haven't seated in yet?......If you feel uncomfortable riding it, as stated above by mkguitar, take it to the dealer and voice your concern about it to the Service MGR and the Tech who looks at it.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:26 AM
brewdog
Road Captain

Thats how mine was. I took it back in for the 1000 mile and they fixed it. The rear pads vibrated a bit then settled in to normal. My wife's street glide did the same thing.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:34 AM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

This is my first Harley and when I first got it, I didn't think the rear brake was working right either. I have a lot of miles on it now and the rear brake works fine.

If I only apply the rear, it still feels weak. If I start stopping with the front then add some rear, I can really feel it kick in.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:22 AM
brewdog
Road Captain

Originally Posted by smithbrl
This is my first Harley and when I first got it, I didn't think the rear brake was working right either. I have a lot of miles on it now and the rear brake works fine.

If I only apply the rear, it still feels weak. If I start stopping with the front then add some rear, I can really feel it kick in.
Don't expect the rear to do most of the work on a heavy bike like an Ultra. The fronts provide 70% of the braking power on most every bike. Having dual discs up front make a huge difference as compared to the single disc out back. Nice bike you've got. Have fun and practice those full lock turns.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:34 AM
lesgeaux
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently bought a 2012 Road King. After the test ride i mentioned the same thing to the salesman and his reply was much the same as i am hearing here so far. "the brakes are new, give it some miles." Problem is the front brake is working awesome and the rear brake you could hit with a sledge hammer and hardly get stopping power. Well i took it home and next day haad to go back to dealer for paperwork. Round trip is 100 miles or so and the time between returning to dealer, hardley any rear brakes.

After i got back to the dealer and finished paperwork business, i tolld the floor manager and service manager my New bike has a Safety issue. They took it in the back and when it was ready parked it outside and didn't say a word about it. They must have had it looked at for no more than 15 min. Guess what now the rear works as good as the front.

Don't believe anyone that says your non-responsive rear brake needs "break-in"; BS!

Take it straight to the dealer service dept and tell them your new bike has a safety issue. If they give run around, which they probably will not do, i would insist they take care of it straight away or i would call Moco head office then and there and pass the phone to the service Mgr. I was dumb and believed the salesman for over 100 miles of travel, i am lucky i didn't Really need the brake in a emergency!

Old 07-15-2012, 07:36 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pswomack
Could it be that the brake pads haven't seated in yet?......If you feel uncomfortable riding it, as stated above by mkguitar, take it to the dealer and voice your concern about it to the Service MGR and the Tech who looks at it.
+1
@ 500 miles mine are coming to life nicely.
They do take 100-200 miles to work in. I can now see the wear pattern on my rotors, which for the first 100 I couldn't.

Quick Reply: new Limited, virtually no rear brakes?