Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sick Goose horn

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Hrlyrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Sick Goose horn

I know I am not the only one with this problem. I just bought my 3rd Harley horn and as soon as I mounted it, it sounded like a sick goose just like the other one. Well I think I have found the solution to this problem. I took my horn off the bike held it in my hand and it worked fine, once mounted into the horn cover it stopped working. So nw I figure it has something to do with the way it is mounted, so while it was in my hand I put the nut on it and tightened it u and it still worked.
If you notice the hole where the stud goes through the horn cover is larger then the stud, s I found a thin gauge piece of steel that was actually for a ceiling light aproximately 1" wide by 4 inches long. I drilled a hole in the middle the size of the horn stud put the not on and tightened it and the horn still worked. So Then I drilled out te hole in the center of the horn cover large enough for the nut to fit through it. Drilled 2 holes that ligned up with where the horn cover mounts to the bracket that attaches to the bike put 2 bolts through the bracket, through the horn cover and the new bracket I attched to the horn. Tighten up 2 nuts on these bolts and reattach the horn to the bike. Now it work fine no more sick goose sounding horn.
Hope this works for you guys having this problem, ish I took pictures but I was too lazy to go et the camera while I was playing with this.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:25 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

mounting is crucial- too tight or too loose and no worky.

what we are affecting here is the acoustic resonance of the horn and/or the grounding for the high current.

mike

Old 07-14-2012, 04:25 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

got any pics?

Old 07-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

I gave up my wing skull cover and just installed revo trumpets. I was sick of ducking around with the horn as well. Would have been my third since 09 had I bought another.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:35 PM
doctorharrison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wait until it gets wet, or after you've laid on it for seemingly a very long time to get that transit bus from a slow drift into your lane ... the return of dying goose. I had one and tried everything - got so fed up that I've now got a Mini Beast 5 on it now. Happily tossed the HD Premium Horn and listed it here in a thread that ran on 'the worst upgrade you ever did". YMMV and I hope it does...

Old 07-14-2012, 09:58 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

On the back of the horn there is a 10 mm bolt. Adjust it with a wrench and all will be fine.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:45 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Hope yours keeps working. I haven't had any problems with my horn even when I remounted it inside my left lower fairing by the shift lever. Works great, nice and loud but away from the rain, heat and vibration.. here are a couple pics....

Last edited by drukanfu; 08-10-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Hrlyrider
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mkguitar
mounting is crucial- too tight or too loose and no worky.

what we are affecting here is the acoustic resonance of the horn and/or the grounding for the high current.

mike
You are way wrong here, my horn wouldn't work when mounted in the cover had nothing to do with how tight, I loosened the bol up to the point it would rattle then tightened just a hair more and no work. the problem is the hole is too big for the stud and the horn being plastic it gets warped and caues the sick gooses sound. It is not grounded through the mount they have 2 wires going to the horn one is hot one is ground.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Hrlyrider
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jjnoble

got any pics?
if you read it you will see I was too lazy to stop and get the camera.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Hrlyrider
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cdestuck
On the back of the horn there is a 10 mm bolt. Adjust it with a wrench and all will be fine.
your wrong, it's the size of the hole not the adjustment of a 1 mm nut.
I even went as far as replacing it with a lock nut so I wouldn't have to tighten it up all the way then it would rattle.

Quick Reply: Sick Goose horn