Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep Your T27 Screws Seperated for Primary

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 07:28 AM
fladawg01
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep Your T27 Screws Seperated for Primary

Here's a dumb moment for you. So I decide to check the primary belt tension while draining the primary oil. So I take off the Clutch cover and put the screws in a holder. My mistake was putting the tension cover plate screws for the primary belt in the same holder.

Well I put everything back and couldn't figure out why the screws were a little snug when I put the primary clutch cover back, just thought maybe it was some dirt on them.

Start the motor after adding all my fluids, everything seemed fine, put the sucker in gera and it almost takes off and the clutch isn't working. I shut it down immediately (ran less than 45 seconds in neutral, and less than 10 seconds in 1st).

I pull the primary clutch cover and discover I put the screws for it into the primary chain adjuster cover! Since the screws were just touching the outer clutch plate, it scored it ever so slightly (can't even feel the area where it shows).

Re-do all the screws and everything is fine. I've done my own fluids since owning the bike and never made this mistake. I also realize the screws are different sizes in length and there are 4 tension cover screws versus 5 clutch cover screws. But I always leave the top screw in my clutch cover to hold the gasket in place without losing the gasket. (yes I have re-used the gasket sevral changes and it's fine) so noticing the difference in the screws was not a visual at first glance.

My dumbass moment of the day! The bike ran fine, no clutch issues, but I may just change the primary oil again to make sure.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:27 AM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

**** Happens, glad no damage was done. For me, and I still make mistakes, I lock the garage door/ no cell phone or radio. I do things by the numbers in the manual. I use a piece of cardboard or packing form to put the bolts in the pattern that I remove them, this way I replace the same bolt in the same hole. I will be the first to say I take too long to do a service, total time about 12 hours I would guest. I drain over over night then when cold I do the service in the morning. I would never make it working in a dealership where they seem to be able to do a service on a hot bike in less than an hour...LOL..... But for me I take my time and go over the whole bike front to back. I must be doing something right because I never had a break down since I started riding back in 1984.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:31 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Its part of being a DIY'er once in awhile the simplest of tasks get flubbed up....as long as you didnt screw anything up its part of personal and proff growth.....

Old 07-14-2012, 10:20 AM
blarg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to bullseye wamp rats in my T27 back home...

Old 07-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blarg
i used to bullseye wamp rats in my t27 back home...

lol!!