Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes on a Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 05:18 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Why are you asking me why I want apes? As others have already stated, its a whole lot more comfortable. You should ride a touring bike with apes and then you will know what its all about.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:21 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain

I'm kind of leaning towards F the heated grips. I have looked at Wild 1 Chubby and Hill Country Custom however, I have heard of a few complaints on the HCC kits. Any recommendations on what cables (manufacture) and brake lines?

Old 07-14-2012, 05:24 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain

12.5 or 14, I had 14" on my street glide and really liked that height.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetglide Walt
I'm kind of leaning towards F the heated grips. I have looked at Wild 1 Chubby and Hill Country Custom however, I have heard of a few complaints on the HCC kits. Any recommendations on what cables (manufacture) and brake lines?
Edit cuz I saw height after posting:

I did 10's so the only thing I lengthened was the clutch cable. Went +2 Magnum.
12's (inc. 12.5) I think bar wiring may still be long enough but brake line needs to be +2? Which after bleeding you will need to limp to the dealership to have them do a computer bleed b/c of ABS. I'd also guess +4 on clutch.
14 for sure need everything. I'd get in touch with SG_Dave if I were you. He has PYO MB's (which are more like 12.5) and think he set himself up so he had the option of 14's. He has seemed to be real helpful in several threads on this subject.

I've dealt with Dr. V-Twin a few times (sponsor ask for discount) and they are real good at kits as well as great prices.

Last edited by Dew Me; 07-14-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: saw next post after sending
Old 07-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I installed some taller HD bars on my Ltd to get the grips up a little. It made a great deal of difference as far as comfort. I didn't want to get too high because I didn't want to get my hands high enough to expose them to the cold *** wind in the winter. So the bars I ended up with sit back an inch or so, are a little higher, yet allow the continued use of the faring to protect my hands during winter riding. It works for me.

But at the end of the day, I dig apes on any bike.

Last edited by Lowcountry Joe; 07-22-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:27 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
I installed some taller HD bars on my Ltd to get the grips up a little. It made a great deal of difference as far as comfort. I didn't want to get too high because I didn't want to get my hands high enough to expose them to the cold *** wind in the winter. So the bars I ended up with sit back an inch or so, are a little higher, yet allow the continued use of the faring to protect my hands during winter riding. It works for me.
Part number?

Old 07-14-2012, 08:43 PM
mikespencer1975
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put 14 on my 08. I love how my arms dont go numb. I had to change all my cables. I ran the wires thur the bars i love that look. Also i put on a chrome handlebar kit thur harley they were able to bleed them so i didnt have to take to the dealership. If you are thinking about doing it to your bike stop in at a shop i am sure they will have a bike you can sit on to judge the height you need.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Blue Duck
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12" Yaffe classic apes on my 2010 Limited. I finished them on July 4th. Heated grips work fine. Tested them when it was upper 90's and almost roasted my hands. Never thought I would like apes but that has changed. My problem with the stock bars was the slight reach on long trips would cause discomfort with my elbows since they were extended for long periods of time. With the apes my arms are higher with a slight bend. The other benefit is I now sit more upright and even the seat feels more comfortable. Last benefit is the mirrors clear my sholders and are more useful. Good luck onyour choice!

Duck

Old 07-14-2012, 11:34 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
Apes on an Ultra Limited? That's a visual I wont get out of my head anytime soon. I think I threw up in my mouth a little.
Why is that?

Attached Thumbnails Apes on a Ultra Limited-mail.google.com2.jpg   Apes on a Ultra Limited-mail.google.com.jpg  
Old 07-14-2012, 11:48 PM
jaymiller5
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Streetglide Walt

I went with the PYO 12" MBB (black) just yesterday and I did not extend the handlebar wiring, I went with 6" extended lines on both clutch and brake using Sterling magnum in black pearl. To not extend the wiring you will need to move the connectors below the radio which is a simple task IMHO. Just unplug the lights of the gauges in the way, outside air and oil pressure, move the handlebar connectors and hook everything up, simple. The TBW wiring is plenty long enough to make the run and connect to the inner fairing bracket in a vertical position instead of the factory horizontal. Also if you are doing full internal wiring be sure to run the TBW line first and use grease otherwise you will have a hard time doing the runs. My trick is I ran (2) sets of 5/50 cord through the right side, (1) on the left and even greased the cord and the pulls were really easy for both the TBW and the handlebar wiring. This is after I had a learning lesson through crushing the TBW connector without grease and trying to pull the handlebar switch wiring first which resulted in buying a new jumper cable to keep things factory.

If you are planning on going taller you will need to extend the wiring by at least 1" over 12" (meaning add 1" for 13" bars, 2" for 14" bars etc) to ensure you will not have issues and maintaining them under the radio otherwise you will need to extend the wiring by 6" to maintain their current position with 12" bars and then 1" more for every 1" over 12". Also if you are looking to go to 14" bars (now or down the road) I would get the 8" or even 10" for both clutch and brake lines as the 6" extended clutch/brake lines were just long enough for my taste with the 12" bars.

HTH

Quick Reply: Apes on a Ultra Limited